How to implement Word Automation in ASP.NET?

Rachel

I have just started to rewrite an application using ASP.NET. One of
the main features of the application is automated letter production.
In the old application this had been accomplished using Word
Automation and mail merge. There doesn't seem to be very much
information on the net on how to accomplish this in ASP.NET. Can
anyone point me in the right direction?

Rachel.

abacnet

From what I saw so far Word is still a COM based application so we cannot
merge from a dataset. So, what I do is generate the text file first (with
Dataset or Datareader), then I call a function to merge the template word
document (with fields already added to it), and finally I save the new
merged document to disk. Don't forget to make a reference to Word in your
..Net project. Then it's practically the same old story.
It seems that you can use XML with Word 2003...