How to install Smart Device app on mobile device from Windows app

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Mobile' started by Matt, Dec 2, 2004.

  1. Matt

    Matt Guest

    Hello,

    I have created a Smart Device application using Visual Studio .Net
    and consequently created its CAB installation file.

    I also have a .Net Windows application whose primary function is to
    send data for use by the Smart Device application to the mobile device.

    I have also added functionality to this Windows application that lets
    the user install the Smart Device application on the mobile device.
    The functionality came from the book "Building Solutions with the
    Microsoft.NET Compact Framework:
    Architecture and Best Practices for Mobile Development. Dan Fox, Jon
    Box"

    It works by launching the active synch application manager,
    CEAPPMGR.EXE and providing as an argument a path to an INI file
    containing details of the CAB file to install.

    This all works very well, but I wondered if it was the best way of
    installing the Smart Device application on the mobile device from my
    Window application?

    I was wondering if there was some way I could call the Active Synch
    APIs from within my Windows application rather than just launching
    CEAPPMGR.EXE, over which I have no control.

    I apologise that this posting has nothing to do with ASP.Net but this
    is the only group I could find dealing with mobile devices.
    Thanks in advance.

    Matt

    Matt, Dec 2, 2004