How to make a colour line separator?

dorayme

From: Cogito <[email protected]>

These lines of code do not do much in my case (I'm sure I've done
something wrong). My index column consists of a few bullets and links,
all in straight html and no css tags at all. Where exactly do I place
your code? Should I place it within <style> tags and then refer to it
somehow?

Yes, that's it. Put the style instructions as recommended between the
style tags, stick all that in the head of the doc (simplest perhaps if
you have just a few things) and then get the instructions implemented in
the bits of the html in the body. For example, if you want some div or p
to have red type, you can put in the style part in the head like this:
div.loud {color: red}

and where you want the text red you hook up by

This is class selection, the use of the dot notation indicates this.
Sometimes folk use another type of selection - ID selection and it is
marked by # notation. ID instruction is like this: #loud or div#loud and
then used (once only per page, unlike with a class). In the head between
the style tags:
div#loud {color: red}

and in the html at the part where you want text red:

This may be of limited help. body also can be styled with backgrounds
and images etc, and I recommend you read up on the many tutes available
online on css. Get a basic primer, any will do for a start. And then
perhaps come back with qs that you have after some basic study. Take no
notice of some of the insolent replies you have had, the world is a
troubled place full of mad people.

By the time I ever get to write stuff like this, someone will perhaps
have helped you further. There are some good and patient people on this
newsgroup. One person even gets drunk and writes love letters to the
group as a whole. Honest.

dorayme

Els

dorayme said:

I'm sure these are two slips op your keyboard (just like the lack of
quote marks on the bit you were replying to).

Correct would be:

dorayme

--

Yes, silly me, I am tired and old... and I was not paying attention. Bad
about leaving class out. How did I do this? I want something or someone

But the lack of quotes I have a culprit of sorts. You!

I have been meaning to thank you for your tip about some software that
rewraps text for the Mac which I got and am pleased to use! The auto
version I have not been able to get working because I have been busy and
it requires some attention... The manual aid is good but one needs to
use it with a little care which as you can see I have not got this
evening. I don't always remember to use it but when I do (with care), it
works well I think. Really, thanks!
:)

dorayme

Els

dorayme said:
Yes, silly me, I am tired and old... and I was not paying attention. Bad
about leaving class out. How did I do this? I want something or someone
to blame.

The cat? ;-)
But the lack of quotes I have a culprit of sorts. You!
!!

I have been meaning to thank you for your tip about some software that
rewraps text for the Mac which I got and am pleased to use! The auto
version I have not been able to get working because I have been busy and
it requires some attention... The manual aid is good but one needs to
use it with a little care which as you can see I have not got this
evening. I don't always remember to use it but when I do (with care), it
works well I think. Really, thanks!
:)

<g>

Cogito

From: Cogito <[email protected]>

[...]

Thanks for the explanation. Could you please illustrate it with an
example?

Let's say that this is my page:

<HEAD>
<STYLE TYPE="text/css">

</STYLE>
</HEAD>

<title>Index</title>

and the graphic I will use for the line on the right side is
margin.gif

Could you please show me how should I incorporate the extra code so
that I get a line on the right side of the page..

Els

Cogito said:
Let's say that this is my page:

<HEAD>
<STYLE TYPE="text/css">

</STYLE>
</HEAD>

<title>Index</title>

and the graphic I will use for the line on the right side is
margin.gif

Could you please show me how should I incorporate the extra code so
that I get a line on the right side of the page..

First of all I'd make sure the <title> is inside the <head>, where it
belongs.
Then, between <style type="text/css"> and </style>:
body{
background-image:url(margin.gif);
background-position:right top;
background-repeat:repeat-y;
}

If you're interested in getting more stuff right, just Google for CSS
tutorial, or pick one here: http://locusmeus.com/html-css/list.html ,
as using HTML the way you do for presentation is really outdated (and
contains errors I think). It poses accessibility problems and also is
difficult to maintain if you have more than one page.

Noozer

Just noticed the following in one of the posts...

Is this the same as writing

???

And if so, can you string multiple classes, like this:

annoying">something</div>

???

Els

Noozer said:
Just noticed the following in one of the posts...

Is this the same as writing

No, that was a mistake. <div.loud> doesn't exist.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Neredbojias said:
And don't feel bad about being old; there was a guy on here a while
back named Duende who gave the term new meaning.

Does anyone know how/where he is?

Cogito

First of all I'd make sure the <title> is inside the <head>, where it
belongs.
Then, between <style type="text/css"> and </style>:
body{
background-image:url(margin.gif);
background-position:right top;
background-repeat:repeat-y;
}

If you're interested in getting more stuff right, just Google for CSS
tutorial, or pick one here: http://locusmeus.com/html-css/list.html ,
as using HTML the way you do for presentation is really outdated (and
contains errors I think). It poses accessibility problems and also is
difficult to maintain if you have more than one page.

Now that works beautifully. Thank you very much for your help.

dorayme

From: "Noozer said:
Just noticed the following in one of the posts...

Is this the same as writing

???

No, it was a careless mistake of mine - <div class=""> is the correct
one.

Please get some small object, a key or something and stare at it and
repeat over and over after me: "No one ever wrote "<div.loud>..."

Try not to say anything like "Ah but someone did!"

Which reminds me for the flimsiest of reasons of a nice story about
George Bush (told by Peter Singer in his book The Ethics of George
Bush). The head of the greatest superpower that has ever existed on
earth was recording a radio address which was to be played the following
Sat. He was saying something like "Today, this Sat, ..." but kept
stopping the recording to express his perplexity at saying something so
untrue, It was still Monday you see... he was not happy and could not
stop thinking of the truth that it was not Monday. The point of the
story was to try to show that this president had an arrested moral
development, that his morality consisted (as with children) in simple
rules without the subtleties of context.

dorayme

dorayme

From: dorayme <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: alt.html
Date: Sat, 30 Jul 2005 12:19:38 +1000
Subject: Re: How to make a colour line separator?

[...]

"no Sat" ... a typo. Think I need a holiday.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:
Ah Neredbojias! All sweet innocence, naivety suddenly! Oh no, there was no
veiled insult at all. Oh no! Not at all! Matey, you will never get anything
right till you see LA Confidential and arrange (as I have been urging) to
have that dance with the star...

Hey, I calls 'em as I sees 'em, I saw LA Confidential (and liked it),
and I don't dance with any quirks-mode men. If somebody said to me
"Neredbojias? What kind of a name it that?" I wouldn't take offense.
I'd probably just answer his/her/its question in the calm, easy-going
manner associated with my persona and which another in this discussion
could learn to emulate to her benefit.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Beauregard T. Shagnasty quothed:
Does anyone know how/where he is?

He was talking about moving somewhere, -dunno where. Hope the old
geezer is all right.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:
"no Sat" ... a typo. Think I need a holiday.

Nah, you just need a good man to keep you on the straight and narrow.

dorayme

From: Neredbojias said:
Hey, I calls 'em as I sees 'em, I saw LA Confidential (and liked it),
and I don't dance with any quirks-mode men. If somebody said to me
"Neredbojias? What kind of a name it that?" I wouldn't take offense.
I'd probably just answer his/her/its question in the calm, easy-going
manner associated with my persona and which another in this discussion
could learn to emulate to her benefit.

It wasn't like this, someone asking about a name. Read the thread again...
But never mind.

Maybe you are an easy going sort of guy! Perhaps you really are an innocent.
I have changed my mind, just for now, better not have that dance with
Russell. Lets see how you go for a while. I might prescribe different
treatment. In the meantime I will observe you more closely and see if I can
help your development in a less drastic manner...

Dr Dorayme

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:
It wasn't like this, someone asking about a name. Read the thread again...
But never mind.

Maybe you are an easy going sort of guy! Perhaps you really are an innocent.
I have changed my mind, just for now, better not have that dance with
Russell. Lets see how you go for a while. I might prescribe different
treatment. In the meantime I will observe you more closely and see if I can
help your development in a less drastic manner...

Dr Dorayme

Surely you don't think there's something wrong with me? I'm as fit as a
griddle. I'm as right as reign. I'm all that I can be except when I
have diarrhea.

dorayme

From: Neredbojias said:
With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:

Surely you don't think there's something wrong with me? I'm as fit as a
griddle. I'm as right as reign. I'm all that I can be except when I
have diarrhea.

I have changed my mind again. I do want you to dance with Russell. He might
help your fixation on particular aspects of your anatomy which you so
regularly exhibit...

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, dorayme quothed:
I have changed my mind again. I do want you to dance with Russell. He might
help your fixation on particular aspects of your anatomy which you so
regularly exhibit...

Now, now, the last time I flashed a group was in 2004 and I had to stop
because the women all swooned before they were able to react properly.

dorayme

From: Neredbojias said:
Now, now, the last time I flashed a group was in 2004 and I had to stop
because the women all swooned before they were able to react properly.

The only reaction I am interested in at the moment is yours: during your
coming dance. You are just putting it off! It has to happen now. And you
*will* feel different, even (in a funny way) better. Make sure it is filmed.

dorayme