how to migrate 1.1 project to 2.0?

HK

I can't believe that I've bought a couple books on ASP 2.0 and nothing says
how to migrate a current project. I searched google and find all kinds of
intense junk about compatibility, etc. but nothing with a few simple steps
to upgrade the project. Maybe we won't be using all the new classes and
that's fine, but I just want to get a few web projects running under VS2005
so new code can be written in VS2005. What the heck do I do? Anyone
want to give me the simple bullet point list of what I do? Again, I just
want to stop managing these projects under VS2003 and use a new computer
that is running VS2005. I also expect to install the 2.0 framework on the
web servers. All is in VB.NET and the projects use a couple compiled DLLs
in the BIN folder, and those also come from VB.NET.

JIMCO Software

HK said:
I can't believe that I've bought a couple books on ASP 2.0 and
nothing says how to migrate a current project. I searched google and
find all kinds of intense junk about compatibility, etc. but nothing
with a few simple steps to upgrade the project. Maybe we won't be
using all the new classes and that's fine, but I just want to get a
few web projects running under VS2005 so new code can be written in
VS2005. What the heck do I do? Anyone want to give me the simple
bullet point list of what I do? Again, I just want to stop managing
these projects under VS2003 and use a new computer that is running
VS2005. I also expect to install the 2.0 framework on the web
servers. All is in VB.NET and the projects use a couple compiled
DLLs in the BIN folder, and those also come from VB.NET.

Open the project in VS 2005 and it will launch the migration wizard
automatically.

HK

So double-click the SLN file?

Any special DOs or DONTs that people know from experience?

Ken Cox - Microsoft MVP

Just start VS then go to File > Open Solution and navigate to your .sln
file.

Scott Allen

So double-click the SLN file?

Any special DOs or DONTs that people know from experience?

Yeah - there are plenty of gotchas.

I have a recommended reading list here:
http://odetocode.com/Blogs/scott/archive/2005/12/04/2573.aspx

... and even if you don't read the above post, here is a more formal
plan to use:

Step-By-Step Guide to Converting Web Projects from Visual Studio .NET
2002/2003 to Visual Studio 2005.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/asp.net/r...library/en-us/dnaspp/html/webprojectsvs05.asp

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Open the project(s)/solution(s) in VS 2005 and it should migrate them for
you. For websites, you will have to switch the site to 2.0, but that is the
only change you need (on both dev and production).

Most likely the books have glossed over or ignored this as it is not on the
author's radar. Some may have also assumed it was too simple to write in.
Not sure why, but those are suggestions.

References should still work. The only caveat is solutions with multiple
projects in the Express SKUs (free VS 2005): You can't get there from here.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

Think Outside the Box!