how to password protect files/images

jaYPee

hey! i was impressed. will, thank you very much.

now i better suggest another way to my client

thanks Steve

Whitecrest

Pictures might not be, but bandwidth leeching is a problem...

If it is to the point that you can actually notice if someone is
leaching, Then most stats packages will tell you external links to your
pictures.

Mail a bill to both them and their host. It will stop instantly.

Hywel

jaYPee said:
i have already downloaded a software that can disable right click,
printscreen so that they can't save the images i have in my website.
the problem i have now is on how can i password protect the images
because if they know the location of the picture in my website they
can still access it directly.
[snip]

You've been told that you can't achieve stop people copying them reliably, and
you will irritate people while you try it.

But, why are you bothering? How much money will you lose if people copy the
images instead of paying you? How much are web-sized images worth? (I can only
sell much bigger photographs than I would put on the web).

have you already tried http://www.antssoft.com/htmlprotector/? if you
can copy the content of this then let me know and i will not bother
anyone to password protect my site.

All that does is use JavaScript to encode the HTML. It's normally
beaten within a few seconds, and is useless if the visitor turns of
JavaScript.

As others have said, it's pointless.

Mark Parnell

This one had a few new twists I hadn't seen before (the
if(window.location.href.substring(0,4)=="file")window.location="about:blank";
was new to me) but was still easy to beat.

Yep. File>Save Page As in Mozilla. :)

Just remove the <script> elements from the <head>.

Karl Groves

jaYPee said:
hey! i was impressed. will, thank you very much.

now i better suggest another way to my client

Yeah. Tell your client to give up on the moronic idea altogether.

-Karl

Whitecrest

Yeah. Tell your client to give up on the moronic idea altogether.

Which is the right thing to do. But, may cause the client to go to
someone else (someone like me) that would do what ever they want.

Bottom line is their money is just as good if they have dumb requests.
If you don't do it (after warning them of the pratfalls) they will find
someone that will do it.

Hey there are plenty of whores out there.

jaYPee

yah. you're exactly right. i continue doing his website because he
don't mind if someone will take the images from his site.

Duncan Austin

I entirely agree with "why bother", but if you're determined to do it then
the only way I know of is to use php to display the image using GD. So
your img tag would be something like < img sr="image.php?image=image.jpg">

Image.php would check $PHP_SELF and display the correct image if $PHP_SELF
is your page and display a "This image is stolen from ..." image if it's
not your page.

Haven't tried this myself, but I don't see why it won't work

Duncan

jaYPee wrote:
[...]

Hywel Jenkins

Duncan Austin said:
On Wed, 26 May 2004 11:23:07 +0100, "Barry Pearson"

jaYPee wrote:
[...]

Wouldn't $PHP_SELF simply return Image.php, not the name of the page
it's being referenced from?

Hywel Jenkins

jaYPee wrote:
[...]

Wouldn't $PHP_SELF simply return Image.php, not the name of the file
it's being referenced from?