How to publish a website?

chaz

Hi -

What's the difference between a website, a project, and a solution when it
comes to pure ASP.NET programming?

I have a "solution." I can migrate this to my production web server just by
dragging a folder to a network connection. Presumably some JIT magic occurs
on the server machine to compile the project and place the code into
\windows\microsoft.net\framework\v2... This happens invisibly from my
perspective, minus a thirty second pause or so for the first page request.
Am I okay to copy a website this way? Are there any disadvantages?

What is publishing? Is this for people who can only push a new website
using ftp or something?

Thanks!

Guest

Hi chaz,
Let me try to explain at least the difference between a website and project
and solution.

In visual studio 200* you can create lotz of type of projects, it may be a
web application or a windows application or may be a web service project or a
control library etc etc... Among this just like i mentioned website is what a
web application. But still we classify a web project as a website or a web
application as per the server interaction involved or the database
involvement in the project or according to the dynamic contents involved. If
the web project contains only static html pages or have only one or two pages
which have some server side code then we/I call it as a website else that is
a web application.

Now a solution is a collection of projects, i.e. a solution can contain many
projects like an assembly project and one web application and one web service
project and one control library. And when you compile the solution it will
compile all the projects one by one. In this way you can keep all your
projects under one solution which will help you in managing the entire
“Software projectâ€.

Still confused???