how to run web services in seperate processes

Guest

I am wring asp webservices in managed c++ for IIS 5.1 runing on XP SP2. Even
though I set the aplication protection to High (Isolated), each service seems
to run in the same process. I wrote a couple of test servies in c# which
reurned the process id and got the same results. The process they run in has
the same id as aspnet_wp.exe of which there is only one instance running. How
can I get each application to run in a seperate process?

Kevin Spencer

In IIS 5, you can't really. However, each application is running in its' own
separate memory space within the IIS ASP.Net process, and is managed
separately from the other web application sub-processes. In IIS 6 and above,
you can assign Application Pools to one or more web applications, which
gives you better Control over them.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP

Printing Components, Email Components,
http://www.miradyne.net

Guest

Actually, when I said managed c++ most of the code is unmanaged, managed code
is just used to implement the web service layer. So if I have two services
which use third party DLLs which are not thread safe (i.e share gobal memory
for example) then is that a problem? What if I use ATL to make my web
services - will they run in serpaerate processes then? I have been tried ATL
before but it seemed to crash when marshelling certain types of data
structures. Is there any docuemntation on how the process/memory management
in IIS works?

Regards
Shane McPherson