How to slow down/speed up video using JMF?

nick.degraeve

I've been asked to write an app were the user can slow down or speed up
video and even reverse it. Only video is required, no audio.
I've done a test with a Quicktime movie and using setRate(). It didn't
work, though, as the rate always stays at 1.0 no matter what I set.

Do I need to use a specific codec for it to work? It there something
about setRate() that I overlooked?

Nick.

Roedy Green

Do I need to use a specific codec for it to work? It there something
about setRate() that I overlooked?

There are two different concepts.

1. how often do I display a frame? This measures the smoothness
quality.

2. how far apart in time to I display two frames that were 1 second
apart in real time? this measure the slow/fast motionness.

Read the docs carefully to see which setRate controls and if there is
one for the other concept.

Nick de Graeve

Roedy said:
There are two different concepts.

1. how often do I display a frame? This measures the smoothness
quality.

2. how far apart in time to I display two frames that were 1 second
apart in real time? this measure the slow/fast motionness.

Read the docs carefully to see which setRate controls and if there is
one for the other concept.

The 2nd one is wat I need and setRate() seems the way to go. But I'm
starting to fear that I need to create a Controller myself.
Unfortunately the reference implementation on the Sun site
(http://java.sun.com/products/java-media/jmf/2.1.1/guide/JMFApp-Controller.html)
is missing 2 important classes.

NdG.