Html for Beginers

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Additya, Dec 8, 2009.

  1. Additya

    Additya Guest

    Additya, Dec 8, 2009

  2. Additya schrieb:
    > Hello friends , I have found a nice HTML tutorial for the beginners ,
    > it may help to all those who want to learn HTML from basics.
    > http://www.ezdia.com/A_great_html_tutorial_for_beginners/Content.do?id=655

    This site is not written in valid HTML and without JavaScript enabled
    you will not get to see any content. In other words: This site is badly
    done by someone who has absolutely no clue about proper use of HTML.

    I write this here just to warn anyone who wants to learn HTML.

    Greetings,
    Thomas

    --
    Ce n'est pas parce qu'ils sont nombreux à avoir tort qu'ils ont raison!
    (Coluche)
    Thomas Mlynarczyk, Dec 8, 2009

  3. Additya

    rf Guest

    Additya wrote:
    > Hello friends , I have found a nice HTML tutorial for the beginners ,
    > it may help to all those who want to learn HTML from basics.
    > http://www.spam.com/A_great_html_tutorial_for_beginners/Content.do?id=655

    It's blood amazing how many people are able to find their own sites.

    This ability to find ones own site and publicise it is of course in inverse
    proportion to the actual value of that site.

    This one proves this point by being so wildly inaccurate that it should
    touted as somewhere to NOT go to learn about HTML.
    rf, Dec 8, 2009
  4. Additya

    Sjeef Guest

    Additya wrote:
    > Hello friends , I have found a nice HTML tutorial for the beginners ,
    > it may help to all those who want to learn HTML from basics.

    Errors found while checking this document as XHTML 1.0 Transitional!
    Result: 93 Errors, 36 warning(s)

    --
    Regards,

    Gerard Schaefers
    http://www.sjeef.eu
    Sjeef, Dec 8, 2009
  5. Additya

    richard Guest

    On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 01:11:05 -0800 (PST), Additya wrote:

    > Hello friends , I have found a nice HTML tutorial for the beginners ,
    > it may help to all those who want to learn HTML from basics.
    > http://www.ezdia.com/A_great_html_tutorial_for_beginners/Content.do?id=655

    Yep. You should learn how to code properly first.
    Like learning to use CSS.
    What's with all the javascript crap? Totally screwed up coding.
    richard, Dec 8, 2009
  6. Additya wrote:
    > Hello friends , I have found a nice HTML tutorial for the beginners ,
    > it may help to all those who want to learn HTML from basics.
    > http://www.ezdia.com/A_great_html_tutorial_for_beginners/Content.do?id=655

    It's tremendously sad how many falsehoods there are on this site and how
    much bad practice it teaches.

    "An HTML file has an extension of htm or html." Only by convention. Not
    a requirement.

    "The tags are used for fomatting the text." Mostly false.

    "Paragraphs are defined with <p> and </p> tags. An extra blank line is
    automatically added before and after the pair of the paragrapgh tag." False.

    "You will see some people use <br> in place od <br />. The two are
    interchangeable." False. In HTML, <br /> is wrong but will work. In
    XHTML, <br> is wrong and won't work.

    "<body bgcolor="yellow">". Bad practice, and not supported in HTML
    Strict. This is what CSS is for.

    Frames? Frames should be avoid except where necessary, and here you are
    explaining them even before you get to useful topics like tables and lists.

    "<table border="1">". Border? Bad practice, and not supported by HTML
    Strict. This is what CSS is for.

    On top of everything else, you're using a single URL for the entire
    tutorial even though you're sending each of its pages as a new page in
    the browser, and therefore the browser's Back button doesn't work,
    because the tutorial saves the state and shows the content from the
    latest page even when you try to backtrack to earlier ones.
    Harlan Messinger, Dec 8, 2009
  7. Additya

    SAZ Guest

    In article <1ivo2pdsxrpru$.ofzj348mr8hd$>,
    says...

    > On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 01:11:05 -0800 (PST), Additya wrote:
    >
    > > Hello friends , I have found a nice HTML tutorial for the beginners ,
    > > it may help to all those who want to learn HTML from basics.
    > > http://www.ezdia.com/A_great_html_tutorial_for_beginners/Content.do?id=655

    > Yep. You should learn how to code properly first.
    > Like learning to use CSS.
    > What's with all the javascript crap? Totally screwed up coding.

    More importantly, learn how to spell "beginners"
    SAZ, Dec 8, 2009
  8. Harlan Messinger wrote:

    > It's tremendously sad how many falsehoods there are on this site and
    > how much bad practice it teaches.

    Since I mostly agree your criticism (though it's maybe a bit too mild...), I
    think I need to make a remark on an item where I think you are wrong:

    > "<table border="1">". Border? Bad practice, and not supported by HTML
    > Strict. This is what CSS is for.

    CSS is for optional presentational suggestions. When you have a data table,
    marked up as a table element, it is often essential to have it rendered in a
    table-like manner. Borders can be almost as relevant as the basic formatting
    into rows and columns, especially in a complex table. Borders are something
    that browsers should use for data tables by default, but they don't - I
    guess largely because HTML tables originated with dualism between data
    tables and layout tables, and the latter were much more common especially in
    the early years.

    Thus, <table border="1"> is a _good_ practice for data tables, dealing with
    situations where the document is rendered without applying the author's
    (page's) style sheet(s). And it _is_ allowed by HTML Strict - and even if it
    were not, so what?

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 9, 2009
  9. Additya

    dorayme Guest

    In article <OtRTm.49824$>,
    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote:

    > Borders are something
    > that browsers should use for data tables by default, but they don't - I
    > guess largely because HTML tables originated with dualism between data
    > tables and layout tables, and the latter were much more common especially in
    > the early years.

    Could not agree more about it being more sensible for tables to default
    to bordered cells, we have discussed this way back... But I am surprised
    on the history, I would have thought tables were introduced with their
    semantics very much in mind (making it more likely for basic cell
    borders to be 1px by default) and it would have been in later years that
    the influence of layout took hold.

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Dec 9, 2009
  10. dorayme wrote:

    > But I am surprised on the history, I would have thought tables were
    > introduced with their semantics very much in mind (making it more
    > likely for basic cell borders to be 1px by default) and it would have
    > been in later years that the influence of layout took hold.

    It's easy to get that impression if you read "standards-track" documents (in
    the broad sense). RFC 1942 appears to be strongly structure-oriented, and
    all examples there are data tables - but this is partly illusionary, and RFC
    1942 (the "HTML Tables" RFC) was a rather faint attempt at defining tables
    formally in the SGML framework. Its authors obviously didn't care much about
    SGML approach to tables as presented as an example in the SGML Handbook.
    HTML 3.2 then describes tables as for data tables and for layout, as a
    half-hearted compromise.

    However, people used to say that Netscape invented HTML tables, and I guess
    we need to admit they did - producing an implementation that was
    fundamentally broken in many ways during the lifespan of Netscape, but it
    was still this initial implementation rather than published drafts and
    specifications that created the practice of HTML authoring with tables. HTML
    3.2 and later HTML 4.0(1) just made it official, adding some features that
    nobody uses and some features that even weren't ever implemented.

    And authors mostly used tables for layout. One of the reasons is that before
    even half-decent CSS implementations existed, tables were the only way to
    create anything as simple as a box with borders or colored background.

    The default value of the border attribute is not fixed in HTML specs but
    left as browser-dependent. However, HTML 4.01 verbally specifies
    frame="void" and rules="none" as the default (though does not define this in
    the DTD!), but - now comes the really confusing part - setting a value for
    border also affects the other attributes. Quite a mess, but it is of little
    practical importance, as we normally set just border="1" and then use CSS
    for fine tuning, such as suppressing some of the borders if desired.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/
    Jukka K. Korpela, Dec 10, 2009