    interesting pages without having to code at all?

    Thanks!
    Teffy

    Teffy, Oct 12, 2003

  2. Teffy

    DU Guest

    Teffy wrote:

    > Should I switch from using HTML-Kit to using Adobe GoLive?

    No.

    I am just
    > a volunteer who is webmaster for a small non-profit group. I am the
    > only person working on the site. The only reason I am tempted to
    > switch from HTML-Kit to GoLive is that I can get an academic version
    > for cheap ($70 USD).
    >
    > I have been doing simple coding by hand with HTML-Kit because it is
    > free, to avoid having to go back later to debug bloated tag soup some
    > editors spit out, and to keep file size small. Is this an outdated
    > view of things?

    No. Hand-coding is the best way to code IMO.

    If I got GoLive 7.0, could I merrily make more
    > interesting pages without having to code at all?
    >
    > Thanks!
    > Teffy

    I doubt it very much. A software will never be able to actually
    compensate real thinking, real planning, real designing. A software will
    never be able to actually make level-headed decision, be able to update
    itself, read articles, tutorials, read newsgroups, etc..

    DU
    --
    Javascript and Browser bugs:

    DU, Oct 12, 2003

  3. Teffy

    brucie Guest

    In post <>
    Teffy said...

    > Should I switch from using HTML-Kit to using Adobe GoLive?

    no

    > I have been doing simple coding by hand with HTML-Kit because it is
    > free, to avoid having to go back later to debug bloated tag soup some
    > editors spit out, and to keep file size small.

    then wanting to change to golive is a bit odd considering golive spits
    out bloated (error filled) tag soup.

    > If I got GoLive 7.0, could I merrily make more interesting pages without
    > having to code at all?

    a program cant author html properly. a mind is needed to correctly
    markup documents.

    --
    brucie.
    12/October/2003 12:59:54 pm

    brucie, Oct 12, 2003
  4. Teffy

    charlie Guest

    On 11 Oct 2003 19:37:24 -0700, (Teffy)
    wrote:

    I have not used GoLive, but I have found that Dreamweaver is very
    nice. It basically takes hand coding out of html, and the code that
    it generates is generally pretty clean. Also I think that the
    academic version is $99 . You can download a 30 trial from
    macromedia's site to see if you like it.

    Charlie

    charlie, Oct 12, 2003
  5. DU wrote:

    > Hand-coding is the best way to code IMO.

    I agree. However, although HTML-Kit once used to be a nice editor, it has
    become so bloated and confusing that I nowadays use it only as an interface
    to Tidy. I find normal text editors, such as Notepad and WordPad, much more
    useful for writing HTML.

    Follow-ups narrowed.

    Thor

    --
    http://thorweb.anta.net/

    Thor Kottelin, Oct 12, 2003
  6. Teffy wrote:

    > Should I switch from using HTML-Kit to using Adobe GoLive? I am just
    > a volunteer who is webmaster for a small non-profit group. I am the
    > only person working on the site. The only reason I am tempted to
    > switch from HTML-Kit to GoLive is that I can get an academic version
    > for cheap ($70 USD).
    >
    > I have been doing simple coding by hand with HTML-Kit because it is
    > free, to avoid having to go back later to debug bloated tag soup some
    > editors spit out, and to keep file size small. Is this an outdated
    > view of things? If I got GoLive 7.0, could I merrily make more
    > interesting pages without having to code at all?

    Judged from the coding GoLive 6.0 does, the answer is no, you could not
    make more interesting pages without having to code in GoLive. I find
    GoLive is far too WYSIWYG oriented to be of much use as an HTML editor.
    It does have some other nice features, though, that you might find
    comfortable to use, especially if you have bigger sites to manage. Its
    site management features are helpful, and it has a comfortable diagram
    editor for planning site layout and site structure. But for the actual
    coding I'd use a tool better suited for the task. Though as I said, this
    is based on my experience with GoLive 6.0; I haven't tried 7.0 and
    didn't even know it's out already.

    --
    Nicolai Zwar
    http://www.nicolaizwar.com

    Nicolai P. Zwar, Oct 12, 2003
  7. Teffy

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Should I switch from using HTML-Kit to using Adobe GoLive?...

    Probably not. GoLive, Front page, or any other WYSIWYG editor, is just
    a tool. Other than the fact that the price is $70 what advantage do you
    see with Golive?

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Oct 12, 2003
  8. Teffy

    Teffy Guest

    Whitecrest <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > In article <>,
    > says...
    > > Should I switch from using HTML-Kit to using Adobe GoLive?...

    > Probably not. GoLive, Front page, or any other WYSIWYG editor, is just
    > a tool. Other than the fact that the price is $70 what advantage do you
    > see with Golive?

    Thanks for the advice, everyone!

    I was hoping for something that would make placement of text and
    images easier. It takes me a long time to deal with nested tables
    because I find them confusing. Plus, I think the trend is to move
    away from tables for placement and use style sheets instead. But I
    know very little about CSS, so I don't know how involved that is.

    Teffy

    Teffy, Oct 13, 2003
  9. Teffy

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed (Teffy)
    writing in news::

    > Whitecrest <> wrote in message
    >> In article <>,
    >> says...
    >> > Should I switch from using HTML-Kit to using Adobe GoLive?...

    >> Probably not. GoLive, Front page, or any other WYSIWYG editor, is
    >> just a tool. Other than the fact that the price is $70 what advantage
    >> do you see with Golive?

    > Thanks for the advice, everyone!
    >
    > I was hoping for something that would make placement of text and
    > images easier. It takes me a long time to deal with nested tables
    > because I find them confusing. Plus, I think the trend is to move
    > away from tables for placement and use style sheets instead. But I
    > know very little about CSS, so I don't know how involved that is.
    >
    > Teffy

    CSS is *much* easier to deal with than nested tables. For example:
    <ul>
    <li>menu</li>
    </ul>
    The quick brown fox...

    In an external style sheet, it is just a matter of defining the
    presentation of the two divs, position, size, colors, etc. In subsequent
    documents, that all share the same ids, making a change in the external
    stylesheet changes all the documents, instead of having to go into each one
    individually.

    Or, let's say that you want all your H1 elements to be green, in your
    external stylesheet:
    h1 {color: green; background-color: transparent}
    In the document:
    <h1>Title of the Page</h1> would be green. If you decided to change it to
    blue later, just go into the external style sheet and change it to blue.
    Much, much simpler.

    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.arbpen.com

    Adrienne, Oct 13, 2003
  10. Teffy

    Teffy Guest

    Re: HTML-Kit to Adobe GoLive: should I switch? - Dreamweaver

    Thanks for the tip! I watched a video about Dreamweaver MX 2004 on
    macromedia's site, and I am interested in the CSS support and template
    support. And I love 'try before you buy.'

    Teffy

    Teffy, Oct 16, 2003
  11. Teffy

    Markus Ernst Guest

    "Teffy" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Thanks for the tip! I watched a video about Dreamweaver MX 2004 on
    > macromedia's site, and I am interested in the CSS support and template
    > support. And I love 'try before you buy.'

    The difference between Dreamweaver and Golive is mainly that Golive writes
    it's own Javascript code which looks very big and messy. Dreamweaver writes
    Javascript you can learn of and change by hand. There is a very nice code
    view and also a split code/layout view in Dreamweaver, I also use it to code
    by hand.

    --
    Markus

    Markus Ernst, Oct 16, 2003