HTTP to HTTPS

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by aftab, Sep 28, 2004.

  1. aftab

    aftab Guest

    Hi,
    I have a problem, I have been doing a website and it
    needs to be made secure, so we have installed versign
    in the webserver.
    Now the problem is I have a set of .aspx pages which i
    will transfer data from page to another page using
    server.transfer.

    To change the protocol from http to https i just
    parse with replace function like the one below
    str_REFERRER = Replace(Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_REFERER"),
    "Travel_Info.aspx", "")

    If str_REFERRER <> "" Then

    str_REFERRER = Replace(str_REFERRER, "http://", "https://")

    str_REFERRER = Replace(str_REFERRER, "User_Entry.aspx?TXR=GRE", "")

    Response.Redirect(str_REFERRER + "Details.aspx?" + str)

    end if

    I have used Response.redirect to do this but when i use response.redirect
    the Form data like text box values,context.items etc. cannot be transferred
    except

    if we use server.transfer then the transfer of values is possible but it
    gives error saying "INVALID CHILD REQUEST...." error when

    i change the protocol to https with server.transfer

    server.transfer(https://www.mysite.com/details.aspx) is not possible?

    pls give me solution of how to use server.transfer with https protocol so
    that all my form values also get transfer.
    aftab, Sep 28, 2004

  2. 1. You need to redirect them to the secure page BEFORE they fill in the
    form. If you wait until they hit the ok/save/continue button, it is too
    late.

    2. Request.Redirect never saves form data. It tells the browser to stop what
    it is doing an go to the new page.

    --
    Jonathan Allen

    "aftab" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    > I have a problem, I have been doing a website and it
    > needs to be made secure, so we have installed versign
    > in the webserver.
    > Now the problem is I have a set of .aspx pages which i
    > will transfer data from page to another page using
    > server.transfer.
    >
    > To change the protocol from http to https i just
    > parse with replace function like the one below
    > str_REFERRER = Replace(Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_REFERER"),
    > "Travel_Info.aspx", "")
    >
    > If str_REFERRER <> "" Then
    >
    > str_REFERRER = Replace(str_REFERRER, "http://", "https://")
    >
    > str_REFERRER = Replace(str_REFERRER, "User_Entry.aspx?TXR=GRE",

    "")

    Jonathan Allen, Sep 28, 2004

  3. It's best to start from a secure page in the first place so that all
    redirects can be left relative and will be secure. If you're worried about
    users visiting pages without SSL then you can set a directory to require SSL
    by configuring it in the IIS snap-in:

    1) Right click on the virtual directory you want to protect and click
    'properties'
    2) Select the 'directory security' tab
    3) Under 'secure communications' click 'edit'
    4) Make sure 'Require secure channel (SSL)' is checked

    If users then try to access your pages using http:// they will get an error
    telling them to use https:// instead.
    Leon Mayne [MVP], Oct 3, 2004