I am thankful to all

GeorgeRXZ

Hi Friends

Last week i posted following questions related to C Language in this
group

1> What is the difference between the standard C language and Non
standard C language ?
2> which is better C Lanugage, C under Linux/ Unix or C under
windows/ DOS ?
3> Under Linux Platform why Conio.h and and many other header files
are not available in C Language Compiler ?
4> Which is latest version of C ? and who makes changes to the
language Syntax and Add new features or upgrade the language ?

I am thankful to all those members who posted reply to these questions
and tried to solve my doubts....

GEOrgE

cr4kb0y

Hi Friends

Last week i posted following questions related to C Language in this
group

1> What is the difference between the standard C language and Non
standard C language ?
2> which is better C Lanugage, C under Linux/ Unix or C under
windows/ DOS ?
3> Under Linux Platform why Conio.h and and many other header files
are not available in C Language Compiler ?
4> Which is latest version of C ? and who makes changes to the
language Syntax and Add new features or upgrade the language ?

I am thankful to all those members who posted reply to these questions
and tried to solve my doubts....

GEOrgE

Your questions' answer can be found at http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html

jaysome

The current URL for the comp.lang.c FAQ is <http://c-faq.com/>.

This FAQ is in serious need of an update (1). Does anyone in here know
if there are plans to update this FAQ?

(1)
Question 18.2
Q: How can I track down these pesky malloc problems?

A: A number of debugging packages exist to help track down malloc
problems; one popular one is Conor P. Cahill's "dbmalloc", posted to
comp.sources.misc in 1992, volume 32.

dgmalloc.c (part of the "dbmalloc" distribution) invokes undefined
behaviour in at least two instances, according to the C90 standard, as
demonstrated by the following snippets from said source:

VOIDTYPE
__dg_bcopy(ptr2, ptr1, len)
CONST MEMDATA * ptr2;
MEMDATA * ptr1;
BCOPYSIZE len;
{
DBbcopy((char *)NULL,0,ptr2,ptr1,len);
}

VOIDTYPE
__dg_bzero(ptr1, len)
MEMDATA * ptr1;
BCOPYSIZE len;
{
DBbzero((char *)NULL,0,ptr1,len);
}

Regards

Richard Heathfield

jaysome said:
This FAQ is in serious need of an update (1).

What are you suggesting, jaysome - dragging the FAQ kicking and screaming
into the 1990s? :)
Does anyone in here know if there are plans to update this FAQ?

Steve Summit will know. His email address is easy to find.

lovecreatesbea...

This FAQ is in serious need of an update (1). Does anyone in here know
if there are plans to update this FAQ?

There're periodic posts you can see in this groups with title:

comp.lang.c Answers (Abridged) to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
comp.lang.c FAQ list Table of Contents

Aren't they for updated reminder or something else?

jaysome

There're periodic posts you can see in this groups with title:

comp.lang.c Answers (Abridged) to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
comp.lang.c FAQ list Table of Contents

Aren't they for updated reminder or something else?

One might reasonably think so.

The last post of this type was on October 1, 2007, according to my
search of Google Groups. That post says this:

18.2: How can I track down these pesky malloc problems?

A: See the full list for a list of tools.

Near the top of the post, there is a URL specified:

That URL has some hyperlinks in the answer to question 18.2. Clicking
on the hyperlink for "CodeCenter" results in "The page cannot be
found". There is no hyperlink for Valgrind, let alone PC-lint or
Coverity, which in this day and age are tools that are worthy of
mention.

Having broken hyperlinks in the C FAQ may be interpreted by some as
akin to top-posting to this newsgroup. Two wrongs don't make a right,
and adamantly admonishing one wrong and not the other may well be
construed as being hypocritical, IMHO. As always, YMMV.

Best regards

jaysome

jaysome said:
[...]
Your questions' answer can be found at

The current URL for the comp.lang.c FAQ is <http://c-faq.com/>.

This FAQ is in serious need of an update (1).

What are you suggesting, jaysome - dragging the FAQ kicking and screaming
into the 1990s? :)

Er, uh, yeah.
Steve Summit will know. His email address is easy to find.

I won't bother. He's done enough for C in general, and this newsgroup
in specific; he doesn't deserve to be bothered about this. His book,
"C Programming FAQs" (ISBN 0-201-84519-9), is something that every
professional C programmer should own, IMHO.

Best regards

Keith Thompson

jaysome said:
Having broken hyperlinks in the C FAQ may be interpreted by some as
akin to top-posting to this newsgroup. Two wrongs don't make a right,
and adamantly admonishing one wrong and not the other may well be
construed as being hypocritical, IMHO. As always, YMMV.

I fail to see any connection between top-posting and broken links in
the FAQ. I often complain about top-posting when I see it; if I
haven't complained about the broken links, it's because I haven't
noticed them.

Since you've noticed them, you should notify Steve Summit.

David Thompson

There're periodic posts you can see in this groups with title:

comp.lang.c Answers (Abridged) to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
comp.lang.c FAQ list Table of Contents

Aren't they for updated reminder or something else?

In most technical newsgroups articles containing the FAQ list(s), or
as here parts of them, are automatically posted periodically,
somewhere between monthly and weekly, in order to keep them 'active'
-- so they don't expire off various servers' spools but instead remain
immediately accessible to all readers particularly new ones. This is
done whether or not the contents have been changed. Nowadays with
wide, though probably still not universal, access to WWW, this is less
important than it is used to be; but still continues, partly out of
tradition, and partly because 'it's not broken - don't fix it'.

Usually they contain a separate indication of when they were changed,
or at least reviewed, as opposed to merely reposted, and the clc ones
in particular contain "[Last modified July 3, 2004 by scs.]" which I
can confirm, as every now and then I compare the (re)posted ones to
local copies I have saved. (Actually, I can confirm the date to within
a few months; I can't prove scs actually did it, but I refuse to
believe someone would go to the trouble of forging or siezing the
authentication needed, in order to make changes that according to my
records were all correct though many minor, and give away credit.)

CBFalconer

David said:
.... snip ...

In most technical newsgroups articles containing the FAQ list(s),
or as here parts of them, are automatically posted periodically,
somewhere between monthly and weekly, in order to keep them 'active'

The C-faq, in various forms, used to be posted here roughly
monthly. I have PLONKED it, since the posts are large, and I have
a copy on my machine anyhow. Does the above mean that they are no
longer being posted?

David Thompson

The C-faq, in various forms, used to be posted here roughly
monthly. I have PLONKED it, since the posts are large, and I have
a copy on my machine anyhow. Does the above mean that they are no
longer being posted?
The PP to which I answered above specifically asked about the abridged
and TOC-only posts, which I reliably see bimonthly. The full form
seems to usually be monthly but I have occasionally seen a gap --
which very well could be just glitches in my feed.