I am thankful to all

Discussion in 'C Programming' started by GeorgeRXZ, Oct 14, 2007.

  1. GeorgeRXZ

    GeorgeRXZ Guest

    Hi Friends

    Last week i posted following questions related to C Language in this
    group

    1> What is the difference between the standard C language and Non
    standard C language ?
    2> which is better C Lanugage, C under Linux/ Unix or C under
    windows/ DOS ?
    3> Under Linux Platform why Conio.h and and many other header files
    are not available in C Language Compiler ?
    4> Which is latest version of C ? and who makes changes to the
    language Syntax and Add new features or upgrade the language ?

    I am thankful to all those members who posted reply to these questions
    and tried to solve my doubts....

    GEOrgE

    GeorgeRXZ, Oct 14, 2007

  2. GeorgeRXZ

    cr4kb0y Guest

    Your questions' answer can be found at http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html

    cr4kb0y, Oct 15, 2007

    [...]

    The current URL for the comp.lang.c FAQ is <http://c-faq.com/>.

    Keith Thompson, Oct 15, 2007
  4. GeorgeRXZ

    jaysome Guest

    On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 20:05:48 -0700, Keith Thompson <>
    wrote:

    >cr4kb0y <> writes:
    >[...]
    >> Your questions' answer can be found at
    >> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html

    >The current URL for the comp.lang.c FAQ is <http://c-faq.com/>.

    This FAQ is in serious need of an update (1). Does anyone in here know
    if there are plans to update this FAQ?

    (1)
    Question 18.2
    Q: How can I track down these pesky malloc problems?

    A: A number of debugging packages exist to help track down malloc
    problems; one popular one is Conor P. Cahill's "dbmalloc", posted to
    comp.sources.misc in 1992, volume 32.

    dgmalloc.c (part of the "dbmalloc" distribution) invokes undefined
    behaviour in at least two instances, according to the C90 standard, as
    demonstrated by the following snippets from said source:

    VOIDTYPE
    __dg_bcopy(ptr2, ptr1, len)
    CONST MEMDATA * ptr2;
    MEMDATA * ptr1;
    BCOPYSIZE len;
    {
    DBbcopy((char *)NULL,0,ptr2,ptr1,len);
    }

    VOIDTYPE
    __dg_bzero(ptr1, len)
    MEMDATA * ptr1;
    BCOPYSIZE len;
    {
    DBbzero((char *)NULL,0,ptr1,len);
    }

    Regards
    --
    jay

    jaysome, Oct 15, 2007
  5. jaysome said:

    > On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 20:05:48 -0700, Keith Thompson <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>cr4kb0y <> writes:
    >>[...]
    >>> Your questions' answer can be found at
    >>> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html

    >>The current URL for the comp.lang.c FAQ is <http://c-faq.com/>.

    > This FAQ is in serious need of an update (1).

    What are you suggesting, jaysome - dragging the FAQ kicking and screaming
    into the 1990s? :)

    > Does anyone in here know if there are plans to update this FAQ?

    Steve Summit will know. His email address is easy to find.

    Email: -http://www. +rjh@

    Richard Heathfield, Oct 15, 2007
  6. GeorgeRXZ

    Guest

    On Oct 15, 12:57 pm, jaysome <> wrote:
    > This FAQ is in serious need of an update (1). Does anyone in here know
    > if there are plans to update this FAQ?

    There're periodic posts you can see in this groups with title:

    comp.lang.c Answers (Abridged) to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
    comp.lang.c FAQ list Table of Contents

    Aren't they for updated reminder or something else?

    , Oct 15, 2007
  7. GeorgeRXZ

    jaysome Guest

    On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 11:49:14 -0700, ""
    <> wrote:

    >On Oct 15, 12:57 pm, jaysome <> wrote:
    >> This FAQ is in serious need of an update (1). Does anyone in here know
    >> if there are plans to update this FAQ?

    >There're periodic posts you can see in this groups with title:
    >
    > comp.lang.c Answers (Abridged) to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
    > comp.lang.c FAQ list Table of Contents
    >
    >Aren't they for updated reminder or something else?

    One might reasonably think so.

    The last post of this type was on October 1, 2007, according to my
    search of Google Groups. That post says this:

    18.2: How can I track down these pesky malloc problems?

    A: See the full list for a list of tools.

    Near the top of the post, there is a URL specified:

    That URL has some hyperlinks in the answer to question 18.2. Clicking
    on the hyperlink for "CodeCenter" results in "The page cannot be
    found". There is no hyperlink for Valgrind, let alone PC-lint or
    Coverity, which in this day and age are tools that are worthy of
    mention.

    Having broken hyperlinks in the C FAQ may be interpreted by some as
    akin to top-posting to this newsgroup. Two wrongs don't make a right,
    and adamantly admonishing one wrong and not the other may well be
    construed as being hypocritical, IMHO. As always, YMMV.

    Best regards
    --
    jay

    jaysome, Oct 17, 2007
  8. GeorgeRXZ

    jaysome Guest

    On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 06:43:50 +0000, Richard Heathfield
    <> wrote:

    >jaysome said:
    >
    >> On Sun, 14 Oct 2007 20:05:48 -0700, Keith Thompson <>
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>cr4kb0y <> writes:
    >>>[...]
    >>>
    >>>The current URL for the comp.lang.c FAQ is <http://c-faq.com/>.

    >> This FAQ is in serious need of an update (1).

    >What are you suggesting, jaysome - dragging the FAQ kicking and screaming
    >into the 1990s? :)

    Er, uh, yeah.

    >> Does anyone in here know if there are plans to update this FAQ?

    >Steve Summit will know. His email address is easy to find.

    I won't bother. He's done enough for C in general, and this newsgroup
    in specific; he doesn't deserve to be bothered about this. His book,
    "C Programming FAQs" (ISBN 0-201-84519-9), is something that every
    professional C programmer should own, IMHO.

    Best regards
    --
    jay

    jaysome, Oct 17, 2007
  9. jaysome <> writes:
    [...]
    > Having broken hyperlinks in the C FAQ may be interpreted by some as
    > akin to top-posting to this newsgroup. Two wrongs don't make a right,
    > and adamantly admonishing one wrong and not the other may well be
    > construed as being hypocritical, IMHO. As always, YMMV.

    I fail to see any connection between top-posting and broken links in
    the FAQ. I often complain about top-posting when I see it; if I
    haven't complained about the broken links, it's because I haven't
    noticed them.

    Since you've noticed them, you should notify Steve Summit.

    Keith Thompson, Oct 17, 2007
  10. On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 11:49:14 -0700, ""
    <> wrote:

    > On Oct 15, 12:57 pm, jaysome <> wrote:
    > > This FAQ is in serious need of an update (1). Does anyone in here know
    > > if there are plans to update this FAQ?

    > There're periodic posts you can see in this groups with title:
    >
    > comp.lang.c Answers (Abridged) to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
    > comp.lang.c FAQ list Table of Contents
    >
    > Aren't they for updated reminder or something else?

    In most technical newsgroups articles containing the FAQ list(s), or
    as here parts of them, are automatically posted periodically,
    somewhere between monthly and weekly, in order to keep them 'active'
    -- so they don't expire off various servers' spools but instead remain
    immediately accessible to all readers particularly new ones. This is
    done whether or not the contents have been changed. Nowadays with
    wide, though probably still not universal, access to WWW, this is less
    important than it is used to be; but still continues, partly out of
    tradition, and partly because 'it's not broken - don't fix it'.

    Usually they contain a separate indication of when they were changed,
    or at least reviewed, as opposed to merely reposted, and the clc ones
    in particular contain "[Last modified July 3, 2004 by scs.]" which I
    can confirm, as every now and then I compare the (re)posted ones to
    local copies I have saved. (Actually, I can confirm the date to within
    a few months; I can't prove scs actually did it, but I refuse to
    believe someone would go to the trouble of forging or siezing the
    authentication needed, in order to make changes that according to my
    records were all correct though many minor, and give away credit.)

    David Thompson, Oct 29, 2007
  11. GeorgeRXZ

    CBFalconer Guest

    David Thompson wrote:

    .... snip ...

    > In most technical newsgroups articles containing the FAQ list(s),
    > or as here parts of them, are automatically posted periodically,
    > somewhere between monthly and weekly, in order to keep them 'active'

    The C-faq, in various forms, used to be posted here roughly
    monthly. I have PLONKED it, since the posts are large, and I have
    a copy on my machine anyhow. Does the above mean that they are no
    longer being posted?

    <http://cbfalconer.home.att.net>

    CBFalconer, Oct 29, 2007
  12. On Mon, 29 Oct 2007 00:04:07 -0500, CBFalconer <>
    wrote:

    > David Thompson wrote:
    > >

    > ... snip ...
    > >
    > > In most technical newsgroups articles containing the FAQ list(s),
    > > or as here parts of them, are automatically posted periodically,
    > > somewhere between monthly and weekly, in order to keep them 'active'

    > The C-faq, in various forms, used to be posted here roughly
    > monthly. I have PLONKED it, since the posts are large, and I have
    > a copy on my machine anyhow. Does the above mean that they are no
    > longer being posted?

    The PP to which I answered above specifically asked about the abridged
    and TOC-only posts, which I reliably see bimonthly. The full form
    seems to usually be monthly but I have occasionally seen a gap --
    which very well could be just glitches in my feed.

    David Thompson, Nov 12, 2007