I cannot open or debug an ASP.NET 1.1 app

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Rod, Mar 1, 2006.

  1. Rod

    Rod Guest

    I had to re-install the Windows XP Professional OS last week on my work PC.
    I've only got the .NET Framework 1.1 installed. Now I'm trying to get
    everything back to working again. I'm run into problems trying to work on
    any of our ASP.NET 1.1 applications. I am getting the following error
    message whenever I attempt to open one of our ASP.NET apps within VS 2003:

    "Microsoft Development Environment: The Web server reported the following
    error when attempting to create or open the Web project located at the
    following URL: 'http://localhost/App1'. 'HTTP/1.1 500 Internal Server Error'."

    I've run the aspnet_regiis app (for Framework version 1.1.4322) giving is
    the "-i" parameter, so that doesn't need to be done. I've tried looking
    this error up on MSDN's website and I found an article #811320. I've done
    everything listed in the Workaround section of article #811320.

    So, what do I do now?

    Rod

    Rod, Mar 1, 2006

  2. Are you running IIS? Did VS create the web as an Application?

    Ken Cox - Microsoft MVP, Mar 1, 2006

  3. Rod

    Rod Guest

    Ken,

    Yes, I have IIS running on my Windows XP Pro box.

    I created the application out of Visual SourceSafe, since it is an
    application that we all work on in the development group I'm a part of.

    Rod

    Rod, Mar 2, 2006
  4. Rod

    sloan Guest

    9 times out of 10..its the lack of a virtual directory or application.

    Go to IIS
    Find the folder where you app is. (where the web.config file is the easiest
    way to see this)
    Right Click , and hit Properties.

    Look for the button which allows you to Create Application. Its the first
    tab.

    A text box will get some text put inside of it.

    sloan, Mar 2, 2006
  5. Rod

    Rod Guest

    I put the app name into the IIS properties (it wasn't there), but that
    didn't work.

    I finally got it to work by changing the username in the machine.config file
    from "machine" to "SYSTEM" on the processModel tag. I know that isn't
    ideal, but I've tried everything else I could find in MSDN to make it work,
    and none of them made it work.

    Rod

    Rod, Mar 2, 2006