I would appreciate comments/suggestions on my new edition Java/AIbook

Qu0ll

Mark Watson said:
I update the PDF version about once a week:

http://www.markwatson.com/opencontent/JavaAI3rd.pdf

I would appreciate suggestions, any coding bugs you might see, etc.

Wow, you have been busy. This is a topic I am particularly interested in so
I welcome such a book. Hopefully I will find the time in the near future to
go through it in more detail.

--
And loving it,

-Qu0ll (Rare, not extinct)
(e-mail address removed)

Peter D.

First suggestion: don't rely too heavily on you spell checker.  You have
probably read and re-read it too many times to actually see what is on
the pages.  It's not your fault it just human nature to see what we know
we should see.  For example on page 23, the start position in your
tic-tac-toe diagram is an already won game.  A better example is the
last sentence of the second paragraph of 2.5.1:

Note that the value of any board position for X if the negative of the
value for O.

I would hope you actually meant:

Note that the value of any board position for X /is/ the negative of the
value for O.

No spell checker will ever find that.

Second suggestion: DON'T use Vector, unless you provide a good reason
for doing so. I'm explicitly referring to code on pages 25-28. If you
read this group with any degree of regularity you would know that Vector
is very much out of style in the Java community.  I would suggest the
List<type> var = new ArrayList<type>(); style.

suggestion 3: rewrite section 1.3.  After reading it several times I
have no clear idea if you will use generics or not.  There is an
additional mixing in of reasons to use primitives over Boxed Objects.
Personally I see no reason to use an Integer when an int is far faster.
Btw: what is a native type? Is it anything like a primitive type?

I am also interested in this and took a look at the introduction.

Chapter 1
Introduction
1.1 Who is is this book written for?

See the error? :) Sorry I just had to mention it. This book does look
interesting thanks.

Roger Lindsjö

Mark said:
I would appreciate suggestions, any coding bugs you might see, etc.

I will try to spend some time on it. Just starting, this jumped out:

Page 15, Section 1.2:
There are other JVM languages like JRuby,
Clojure, Jython, and Scala that can call use existing Java classes.

"that can call use"? I think you mean either "that can call" or "that
can use"