ideas for effective use of master pages

gorf

I'd like some ideas from the more experienced users of master pages out
there.

We have many applications, large and small, that should have the same
general look and feel to them. That is, the same header, the same
footer, the same styling, and perhaps the same functionality.

What are some good ways to deploy master pages on new applications such
that we can use the same template without requiring much in the way of
coding?

Thanks for any tips or references to good books / articles on this subject.