IDLE bug

Discussion in 'Python' started by harrismh777, Apr 19, 2011.

  1. harrismh777

    harrismh777 Guest

    Are bug reports wanted here, or just in issue tracker?

    thanks
    harrismh777, Apr 19, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. harrismh777

    James Mills Guest

    On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 2:05 PM, harrismh777 <> wrote:
    > Are bug reports wanted here, or just in issue tracker?


    Pretty sure they're wanted in the Issue Tracker.

    cheers
    James

    --
    -- James Mills
    --
    -- "Problems are solved by method"
    James Mills, Apr 19, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. On Mon, 2011-04-18 at 23:05 -0500, harrismh777 wrote:
    > Are bug reports wanted here, or just in issue tracker?
    >
    > thanks
    >


    If it's a super-critical bug that can destroy data, yes, else just the
    issue tracker.
    Westley Martínez, Apr 19, 2011
    #3
  4. harrismh777

    Terry Reedy Guest

    On 4/19/2011 12:05 AM, harrismh777 wrote:
    > Are bug reports wanted here, or just in issue tracker?


    If one is somewhat experienced with Python and is sure about having
    identified a bug, and is willing to search the tracker for existing
    reports and respond to questions, then report on the tracker. If one is
    new to Python and perhaps not sure, or should not be sure, then I prefer
    that one ask here for a second opinion.

    --
    Terry Jan Reedy
    Terry Reedy, Apr 19, 2011
    #4
  5. harrismh777

    harrismh777 Guest

    Terry Reedy wrote:
    > If one is new to Python and perhaps not sure, or should not be sure,
    > then I prefer that one ask here for a second opinion.


    Thanks Terry. I am not new to Python, but I am new to Python3, and I'm
    also relatively new to IDLE. Typically I edit with vi, test on the
    terminal, and run on the server. I have been using IDLE more these days,
    and also working more with Tk, so I've run into a couple little minor
    snags. Anyway, sorry, I'm digressing a bit...as usual.

    Here is the bug, for a second opinion:

    Under some circumstances, which I will detail later down the note, if I
    click File --> Close without explicitly saving, and without running the
    module with Run --> Run Module , then the last changes I made to the
    file do not get saved. The save dialogue pop-up does appear, and I do
    select YES--- I want to save before closing--- but when I re-open the
    file (IDLE or vi) the changes are not there... as though the save
    binding did not work, or like there was some timing glitch that
    prevented the save somehow before the edit window closed down. The error
    is not solid, in that, if the file is larger (significantly) then the
    File --> Close (select Yes on the dialogue) does work... ??

    The work around is to do either 1) run the module, or 2) explicitly
    click File --> Save.

    The alleged bug can be reproduced on both of my primary desk machines,
    Linux systems, using IDLE on 2.6, 2.7, and 3.2/ These are the
    instructions for reproducing this little snag:

    1) Open a new edit window with File --> New Window

    2) Enter the following code on the first two lines:
    def testfunc():
    return None

    3) Click File --> Save ( testit.py )

    4) Click File --> Close

    5) Open the file with File --> Recent Files ( select testit.py )

    6) Use the edit window to place these three lines above testfunc:
    ############################
    # comment block
    ##############################

    7) Click File --> Close

    8) When the Save on Close dialogue appears select "Yes"

    9) Re-open the file with File --> Recent Files ( select testit.py )

    10) The comment block will not be there... didn't save.


    Well, there it is. Of course I must admit, I've used IDLE for months
    without ever noticing this, so its really a nit... if I'm doing
    something incorrect, let me know. If it is something I can fix myself
    let me know that too... I've compiled 2.7 and 3.2 from sources, 2.6 came
    installed on my distro... which is another point to bring up actually,
    because all three of them are using the same Tk libraries (8.5.x)

    Thanks Terry.

    kind regards,
    m harris
    harrismh777, Apr 20, 2011
    #5
  6. harrismh777

    Terry Reedy Guest

    On 4/19/2011 11:39 PM, harrismh777 wrote:
    > Terry Reedy wrote:
    >> If one is new to Python and perhaps not sure, or should not be sure,
    >> then I prefer that one ask here for a second opinion.

    >
    > Thanks Terry. I am not new to Python, but I am new to Python3, and I'm
    > also relatively new to IDLE. Typically I edit with vi, test on the
    > terminal, and run on the server. I have been using IDLE more these days,
    > and also working more with Tk, so I've run into a couple little minor
    > snags. Anyway, sorry, I'm digressing a bit...as usual.
    >
    > Here is the bug, for a second opinion:
    >
    > Under some circumstances, which I will detail later down the note, if I
    > click File --> Close without explicitly saving, and without running the
    > module with Run --> Run Module , then the last changes I made to the
    > file do not get saved. The save dialogue pop-up does appear, and I do
    > select YES--- I want to save before closing--- but when I re-open the
    > file (IDLE or vi) the changes are not there... as though the save
    > binding did not work, or like there was some timing glitch that
    > prevented the save somehow before the edit window closed down. The error
    > is not solid, in that, if the file is larger (significantly) then the
    > File --> Close (select Yes on the dialogue) does work... ??
    >
    > The work around is to do either 1) run the module, or 2) explicitly
    > click File --> Save.
    >
    > The alleged bug can be reproduced on both of my primary desk machines,
    > Linux systems, using IDLE on 2.6, 2.7, and 3.2/ These are the
    > instructions for reproducing this little snag:
    >
    > 1) Open a new edit window with File --> New Window
    >
    > 2) Enter the following code on the first two lines:
    > def testfunc():
    > return None
    >
    > 3) Click File --> Save ( testit.py )
    >
    > 4) Click File --> Close
    >
    > 5) Open the file with File --> Recent Files ( select testit.py )
    >
    > 6) Use the edit window to place these three lines above testfunc:
    > ############################
    > # comment block
    > ##############################
    >
    > 7) Click File --> Close
    >
    > 8) When the Save on Close dialogue appears select "Yes"
    >
    > 9) Re-open the file with File --> Recent Files ( select testit.py )
    >
    > 10) The comment block will not be there... didn't save.


    On my winxp, following the above *exactly*, the comment block is there.
    But I can believe there might be a system specific glitch around save
    and close. See
    http://bugs.python.org/issue9803
    http://bugs.python.org/issue10365

    Go ahead and report, noting which Linux distribution, and include my
    negative report. Add me as nosy.

    --
    Terry Jan Reedy
    Terry Reedy, Apr 20, 2011
    #6
  7. harrismh777

    rantingrick Guest

    On Apr 18, 11:16 pm, James Mills <> wrote:
    > On Tue, Apr 19, 2011 at 2:05 PM, harrismh777 <> wrote:
    > > Are bug reports wanted here, or just in issue tracker?

    >
    > Pretty sure they're wanted in the Issue Tracker.


    My opinion is to report bugs on the tracker AND here since this list
    is viewed by more people than the bug tracker is. And the wider
    community needs to know where the shortcomings of this language exist.
    rantingrick, Apr 20, 2011
    #7
  8. harrismh777

    harrismh777 Guest

    Terry Reedy wrote:
    >
    > Go ahead and report, noting which Linux distribution, and include my
    > negative report. Add me as nosy.


    Done. 11896 created.
    msg(s) 134194
    134195


    thanks
    harrismh777, Apr 21, 2011
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. John

    Re: BUG? OR NOT A BUG?

    John, Sep 20, 2005, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    528
  2. RedEye
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    561
    Jason Kester
    Dec 13, 2005
  3. Michel Joly de Lotbiniere

    Bug Parade Bug 4953793

    Michel Joly de Lotbiniere, Nov 30, 2003, in forum: Java
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    624
    Michel
    Dec 2, 2003
  4. Bartolomé Sintes Marco

    Windows Python 2.3b2 bug? Edit with IDLE

    Bartolomé Sintes Marco, Jul 10, 2003, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    304
    Bartolomé Sintes Marco
    Jul 10, 2003
  5. rantingrick

    [Bug / Feature Request] IDLE Shell

    rantingrick, Apr 13, 2011, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    192
    James Mills
    Apr 13, 2011
Loading...

Share This Page