IE 6 can't display this page. why?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by crispy, Dec 24, 2003.

  1. crispy

    crispy Guest

    crispy, Dec 24, 2003

  2. William Tasso, Dec 24, 2003

  3. crispy

    DU Guest

    crispy <> wrote:

    > Can anyone figure out why this page when viewed in IE 6 suddenly
    > disappears (window minimizes and won't restore)?
    >
    > The page: http://www.saneplanet.com/clients/nomadic/draft/bio.htm
    >
    > The rest of the site:
    > http://www.saneplanet.com/clients/nomadic/draft/

    function P7_Scrub(obj) { //v1.0 by PVII
    if(obj.blur){obj.blur();}
    }
    //-->
    </script>

    onFocus="P7_Scrub(this)">

    Can you explain the purpose of the function P7_Scrub which is registered
    to the body node? If you're wondering why the page suddenly disappears,
    then I think you should first explain the purpose, relevancy, reason for
    the P7_Scrub function.

    DU
    DU, Dec 24, 2003
  4. crispy

    rf Guest

    "crispy <>" <polaatx@ REMOVE THIS yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > Can anyone figure out why this page when viewed in IE 6 suddenly
    > disappears (window minimizes and won't restore)?
    >
    > The page: http://www.saneplanet.com/clients/nomadic/draft/bio.htm

    They're trying to prevent you from right clicking on the page to steal their
    source code.

    Seriously, there is so much javascript in that page that I don't think
    anybody could be bothered working out why it is broken.

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Dec 25, 2003
  5. crispy

    crispy Guest

    DU:

    The scrub script Selectively Scrubs away those pesky focus lines
    around clicked links in IE4 plus and NN6 browsers.

    The DW extension can be found here:
    http://www.projectseven.com/extensions/index.htm

    It turns out the Scrub script is what is causing the error in my
    pages.

    Here's a page does not have the script:
    http://www.saneplanet.com/clients/nomadic/draft/bio.htm

    Here's the same page still with the scrub script:
    http://www.saneplanet.com/clients/nomadic/draft/bio.htm
    On my machine (IE 6, win xp pro, javascript on) the browser
    immediately collapses and won't restore.

    Thanks for your help.

    crispy

    crispy, Dec 25, 2003
  6. crispy

    DU Guest

    crispy <> wrote:

    > DU:
    >
    > The scrub script Selectively Scrubs away those pesky focus lines
    > around clicked links in IE4 plus

    then why not use MSIE's proprietary hideFocus attribute?
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/properties/hidefocus.asp

    and NN6 browsers.

    For recent Mozilla-based browsers, using
    user_pref("browser.display.focus_ring_on_anything", false);
    in a user.js file was a possibility.
    Or for Mozilla, Safari 1.x and Opera 7.x
    a:active {-moz-outline:0px none; outline:0px none;}
    // not tested but should work

    Anyway, what's so pesky about focus lines? A majority of users like to
    figure out which element was last selected or active

    > The DW extension can be found here:
    > http://www.projectseven.com/extensions/index.htm
    >
    > It turns out the Scrub script is what is causing the error in my
    > pages.

    Are you actually saying that DreamWeaver has flaws, weaknesses and that
    it will never be any better than the competence of its user?

    > Here's a page does not have the script:
    > http://www.saneplanet.com/clients/nomadic/draft/bio.htm
    >
    > Here's the same page still with the scrub script:
    > http://www.saneplanet.com/clients/nomadic/draft/bio.htm
    > On my machine (IE 6, win xp pro, javascript on) the browser
    > immediately collapses and won't restore.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > crispy

    One last thing, crispy. Could you bottom-post your reply next time?
    Bottom-posting makes posts in thread easier to read for everyone. Thanks.

    DU

    DU, Dec 25, 2003
  7. In article <OxrGb.64573$>,
    "rf" <> wrote:

    > "crispy <>" <polaatx@ REMOVE THIS yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > > Can anyone figure out why this page when viewed in IE 6 suddenly
    > > disappears (window minimizes and won't restore)?
    > >
    > > The page: http://www.saneplanet.com/clients/nomadic/draft/bio.htm

    > They're trying to prevent you from right clicking on the page to steal their
    > source code.
    >
    > Seriously, there is so much javascript in that page that I don't think
    > anybody could be bothered working out why it is broken.

    OOh ooh I know! It's broken because there's so much javascript.

    HTH, HAND.

    --
    | Andrew Glasgow <amg39(at)cornell.edu> |
    | "The Earth is degenerating these days. Bribery and corruption abound. |
    Andrew Glasgow, Dec 25, 2003
  8. In article <>,
    "crispy <>" <polaatx@ REMOVE THIS yahoo.com> wrote:

    > DU:
    >
    > The scrub script Selectively Scrubs away those pesky focus lines
    > around clicked links in IE4 plus and NN6 browsers.
    >
    > The DW extension can be found here:
    > http://www.projectseven.com/extensions/index.htm
    >
    > It turns out the Scrub script is what is causing the error in my
    > pages.
    >
    > Here's a page does not have the script:
    > http://www.saneplanet.com/clients/nomadic/draft/bio.htm
    >
    > Here's the same page still with the scrub script:
    > http://www.saneplanet.com/clients/nomadic/draft/bio.htm
    > On my machine (IE 6, win xp pro, javascript on) the browser
    > immediately collapses and won't restore.
    >
    > Thanks for your help.
    >
    > crispy

    Removing focus lines is annoying to those who like to use keyboard
    tabbing to get around websites. Those who have difficulty using a mouse
    have little choice, and unless I miss my guess this will make it
    impossible for them to select that link by tabbing (every time they tab
    to the link it will unfocus it). Even those who are proficient with
    mice sometimes use tabbing to go through a document, as moving hands
    from the keyboard to the mouse is often much slower than hitting tab a
    couple times.

    --
    | Andrew Glasgow <amg39(at)cornell.edu> |
    | "It's 106 light-years to Chicago, we've got a full chamber of anti-matter, |
    Andrew Glasgow, Dec 25, 2003
  9. crispy

    > DU:
    >
    > The scrub script Selectively Scrubs away those pesky focus lines
    > around clicked links in IE4 plus and NN6 browsers.

    Those "pesky focus lines" are *essential* for somebody who uses a keyboard
    for navigation, for example somebody who is disabled in such a manner that
    they cannot use a mouse.

    Removing the focus lines makes your site unusable for such people.

    Chers
    Richard.
    rf, Dec 25, 2003
  10. crispy

    crispy Guest

    Many thanks to all the replies.

    You convinced me that scrubing the "pesky" lines around the links is
    not a good idea.

    I really appreciate the importance this group puts in usability over
    aestethics.

    crispy

    crispy, Dec 27, 2003