IE<=>FF compatibility

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Super Mango quothed:
Hi folks,

Can anyone guess why this page looks so good on IE and a total mess on
FF?
http://mangoplex.com/forums/display_forum.php?fid=2

It all started after adding "float:left" to some spans.

Thank you so much, I run out of ideas!

Yeah, it's almost certainly the floats. Floated stuff (flotillas I call
'em) is basically removed from the normal flow and will not "fill out" a
div, etc. IE gets this wrong. You should read the spec on floats
_carefully_ and even then it's hard to get right. I use floats only
when I absolutely have to.

Super Mango

Thanks. That waht I was affraid of.

had it designed as a table, but than I wanted to do the "right thing"
and change it to semantic, and got this @#@%!$@$

Thanks again...

Andy Dingley

It all started after adding "float:left" to some spans.

Read the excellent float article on brainjar.com It's just about the
only readable explanation that goes into real detail.