IE<=>FF compatibility

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Super Mango, Feb 11, 2006.

  1. Super Mango

    Super Mango Guest

    Super Mango, Feb 11, 2006

  2. Super Mango

    Dan Guest

    Super Mango wrote:
    > Hi folks,
    >
    > Can anyone guess why this page looks so good on IE and a total mess on
    > FF?
    > http://mangoplex.com/forums/display_forum.php?fid=2
    >
    > It all started after adding "float:left" to some spans.
    >
    > Thank you so much, I run out of ideas!

    Start by checking the site in a validator and fixing the errors:
    http://validator.w3.org/

    It claims to be XHTML 1.0 Strict, but has many violations of the specs
    for this.

    --
    Dan
    Dan, Feb 11, 2006

  3. Super Mango

    Neredbojias Guest

    With neither quill nor qualm, Super Mango quothed:

    > Hi folks,
    >
    > Can anyone guess why this page looks so good on IE and a total mess on
    > FF?
    > http://mangoplex.com/forums/display_forum.php?fid=2
    >
    > It all started after adding "float:left" to some spans.
    >
    > Thank you so much, I run out of ideas!

    Yeah, it's almost certainly the floats. Floated stuff (flotillas I call
    'em) is basically removed from the normal flow and will not "fill out" a
    div, etc. IE gets this wrong. You should read the spec on floats
    _carefully_ and even then it's hard to get right. I use floats only
    when I absolutely have to.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Feb 11, 2006
  4. Super Mango

    Super Mango Guest

    Thanks. That waht I was affraid of.

    had it designed as a table, but than I wanted to do the "right thing"
    and change it to semantic, and got this @#@%!$@$

    Thanks again...
    Super Mango, Feb 11, 2006
  5. Super Mango

    Andy Dingley Guest

    On 10 Feb 2006 18:26:03 -0800, "Super Mango" <>
    wrote:

    >It all started after adding "float:left" to some spans.

    Read the excellent float article on brainjar.com It's just about the
    only readable explanation that goes into real detail.
    Andy Dingley, Feb 11, 2006