IE prompts for password, even though Forms Authentication is used

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Charles Forsyth, Oct 9, 2005.

  1. Hi all,

    I have an ASP.Net application that has worked swell on both my
    development environment and production for some time now. Development
    is running on a WinXP Pro box, Production is running on a Win 2000
    Server.

    However, the other day we had to move the application to another
    server. The new server is Windows 2003 box.

    The problem is that when you visit any page that requires forms
    authorization IE will prompt the user to log in to that box. This
    doesn't make sense since I'm not using Windows Authentication, I'm
    using Forms Authentication.

    For the heck of it, I went to IIS and checked. Anonymous authentication
    is enabled, and all other forms are disabled. That includes Windows
    Integrated and Basic.

    Then for the heck of it, I made sure that the local "ASPNET" account
    had full control on every single file and folder on that box. Just in
    case it's some ACL permission issue.

    Still, the browser prompts for logon.

    What is strange is, when you click cancel on the logon prompt, it still
    lets you in and the page runs. But as soon as you try to access another
    page, IE prompts you again to log on.

    One thing though, the app works fine if I VPN in to the network, and
    access it via IP address instead of using the web domain name assigned
    to the app in the DNS.

    This gives me a clue that it could have something to do with our ISA
    server. Or perhaps DNS?

    Has anyone else had this problem? How did you fix it?
    Charles Forsyth, Oct 9, 2005

  2. I was able to resolve this problem by first running aspnet_regiis.exe
    -i

    Then granting ACLs to the directory: /aspnet_client/ that was created
    under InetPub

    Then in IIS I opened properties on /aspnet_client/ folder and set it up
    to allow anonymous access.
    Charles Forsyth, Oct 9, 2005