IE Stops Loading Script Prematurely

hbchai

I'm adapting the ajax-like asynchronous request pattern mentioned in
this article:

http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2005/11/09/fixing-ajax-xmlhttprequest-considered-harmful.html?page=2

for my Sudoku implementation:

http://ttwhy.org/code/mosudoku.html

By changing the "src" attribute of a script tag, I can dynamically load
Sudoku feeds from a proxy PHP script as javascript text. It's necessary
for me to use this mechanism instead of xmlHttpRequest because of the
security limitations imposed on the latter; in particular, when a local
file is viewed in a browser such as Firefox, remote pages may not be
fetched using xmlHttpRequest. I am designing my Sudoku for play both
online and off.

Everything seems to work fine in Firefox and Opera. The feeds load just
fine in IE too, provided I don't navigate to another tab or perform any
other kind of script operation before the feeds finish loading. But if
I do trigger one such script action before loading is complete, it
seems that the load is aborted. And I don't understand why this is the
case.

Is this behavior documented in IE? Is IE known to stop loading remote
scripts if "interrupted" by other script events?

Richard Cornford

Everything seems to work fine in Firefox and Opera. The feeds
load just fine in IE too, provided I don't navigate to another
tab or perform any other kind of script operation before the
feeds finish loading. ...
<snip>

Under such circumstances suspicion always falls on the use of javascript
pseudo-protocol HREFs. The 'execution' of such HREFs is treate4d by IE
browsers as navigation and an indication that the current page is
therefor finished with (so it can stop doing things that are no longer
needed, such as downloading files, animating GIFs and so on).

Richard.

hbchai

I removed pseudo-protocol links from the code, problem solved! Thanks
Richard.

Haw-Bin