IE toolbar etc

Guest

I am doing a response.redirect("mypagehere.aspx")

I want to be able to turn off the toolbar, backbutton and control the
location and size of this new window.

Becuase I couldnt figure out how to do that for calling a page using
response.redirect I also looked into the onload event of the page itself.
(thus in my situation window.open would not work becuase I want the existing
window to change, not a new window).
There are window events for chagning the size and location of my window but
nothing for the toolbars etc the best I can find.

Guest

The stuff you want to do can only be done from client script, not from
response.redirect where the browser will simply request the new page.
use Javascript window.open( etc., etc.)
Peter

Guest

Right!

the problem is I need it to not open a new window but change the settings of
the current window. I can turn off toolbars etc easily if I am opening a new
window with the function in question but I need it to change the existing
window.

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

client script can only specify these option on a new window, not the
current. Also the lastest security patches limit how much of the browser bar
you can hide.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Guest

could I "onload" the page in some kind of "modal_dialog" format?

or even send the response.redirect in such a way as well.

Most likely not but I figure it worth asking.

Basically I want a page similar to the message editing page we are currently
writting in.

Thanks

Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]

With JavaScript's window.open method you should be able to open a new web
browser window that looks very similar to a newsgroup reader message editing
window. I don't think there is any other way except using a thick client
technology such as ActiveX or windows forms.

Alan Silver

Sean said:
I can turn off toolbars etc easily if I am opening a new window with
the function in question but I need it to change the existing window.

Thankfully this isn't possible with existing windows. It's very rare
that this is a good idea for new windows either.

You need to reconsider your idea. Think about the user. Why do they have
to have their main navigation aide removed by you? That's very
antisocial and guaranteed to annoy and/or confuse them. The nav bar, and
specifically the Back button, is the second most used navigational aide
(after the hyperlink). Why stop them using it? Furthermore, disabling it
leaves it gone even after they leave your site. That's also antisocial
behaviour.

This issue has been discussed many times in usability forums, and is
universally considered a Bad Idea by the usability experts. It would be
better if you can rethink your design and work out why you need/want to
do this. Maybe there is another way of achieving the same thing without
disadvantaging the user.

HTH