IE6 always rejects a particular cookie regardless of privacy/cookie setting

Timur Tabi

I have an embedded system with a web interface. One of the web pages
has a small JavaScript program that, when run on IE6, always displays
the message that cookies need to be enabled:

if (document.cookie.indexOf('asm_session') == -1)
{
document.cookie = 'asm_session=0';
if (document.cookie.indexOf('asm_session') == -1)
{
document.write("Advanced System Management access requires
cookies to be enabled."+'<br><br>');

This problem only occurs with IE6, not Mozilla. It also only happens
on some of the embedded systems, but this problem exists for everyone
running IE6.

The problem isn't limited to the Javascript code, either. On another
web page from this embedded system, a cookie is set the normal way,
via the HTTP header. This cookie is also rejected.

When I display any page that attempts to set a cookie, IE6 displays
the blocked icon and says that cookies on that URL are blocked.
However, I have set all privacy and cookie options to their most
permissive. I've spent the past hour changing every option I can find
that's even remotely related to cookies and privacy, and nothing
changes. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

Timur Tabi

I have an embedded system with a web interface. One of the web pages
has a small JavaScript program that, when run on IE6, always displays
the message that cookies need to be enabled:

Never mind, the problem was the hostname had an underscore in it.
This is a known bug in IE.