IE6 always rejects a particular cookie regardless of privacy/cookie setting

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by Timur Tabi, May 13, 2004.

  1. Timur Tabi

    Timur Tabi Guest

    I have an embedded system with a web interface. One of the web pages
    has a small JavaScript program that, when run on IE6, always displays
    the message that cookies need to be enabled:

    if (document.cookie.indexOf('asm_session') == -1)
    {
    document.cookie = 'asm_session=0';
    if (document.cookie.indexOf('asm_session') == -1)
    {
    document.write("Advanced System Management access requires
    cookies to be enabled."+'<br><br>');

    This problem only occurs with IE6, not Mozilla. It also only happens
    on some of the embedded systems, but this problem exists for everyone
    running IE6.

    The problem isn't limited to the Javascript code, either. On another
    web page from this embedded system, a cookie is set the normal way,
    via the HTTP header. This cookie is also rejected.

    When I display any page that attempts to set a cookie, IE6 displays
    the blocked icon and says that cookies on that URL are blocked.
    However, I have set all privacy and cookie options to their most
    permissive. I've spent the past hour changing every option I can find
    that's even remotely related to cookies and privacy, and nothing
    changes. Does anyone have any idea what's going on?

    Timur Tabi, May 13, 2004

  2. Timur Tabi

    Timur Tabi Guest

    (Timur Tabi) wrote in message news:<>...
    > I have an embedded system with a web interface. One of the web pages
    > has a small JavaScript program that, when run on IE6, always displays
    > the message that cookies need to be enabled:

    Never mind, the problem was the hostname had an underscore in it.
    This is a known bug in IE.

    Timur Tabi, May 14, 2004