ie6 on Windows 98 hangs on click asp.net controls

normk

I have an asp.net app that works fine on Windows XP IE6 browsers. The
page renders correctly on IE6 on Windows 98 with no javascript errors.
There are two grids and a few dropdown menus with a small number of
items. When I click a link or dropdown web control, instead of calling
back to the server, it simply hangs and the hourglass is displayed
indefinitely. I verified that smartNavigation is false and I reduced
the size of my viewstate significantly by only using it for the bare
minimum controls.

I added a test href manually to the aspx page that pops up an alert but
it also hangs the browser. So, somehow, the IE6 browser on Windows 98
is "crashing" even though it does not display an error message. I also
removed any manually inserted javascript that I thought might be
causing the problem. If I click F5, the page refreshes and the
hourglass goes away but returns when I click a control.

The problem can be reproduced on several Windows 98 clients with IE5.5
and IE6 browsers but it never fails on any XP IE6 browser that I've
tested. Interestingly, the problem does not appear on Firefox 1.0
browsers.

Anyone know what could be causing this problem?