    called front end? Because I thought it is executed in the server, which is
    back end? I think I am confused with the term front end and back end here.

    Please advise. Thanks!!
    Matt, Apr 4, 2004

  2. Matt

    Roland Hall Guest

    "Matt" wrote in message news:%...
    : I always heard people saying IIS ASP front end, and MS-SQL back end. ASP
    is
    : for server side programming and dynamic content generation, how could it
    is
    : called front end? Because I thought it is executed in the server, which is
    : back end? I think I am confused with the term front end and back end here.

    Hi Matt...

    In the scenario you described, back-end refers to dynamic data-driven web
    sites. You can have ASP files without using a database. Using a database
    on the back end will give more of a dynamic site with less duplication.
    Your ASP files will work as templates and the data will be provided by the
    ASP processor making ADO connections to the database to provide content.

    When comparing client/server side scripting, front/back end is not relevant
    because static HTML pages do not have a back end. ASP code is processed by
    the ASP processor, dynamic content can be retrieved by using dynamic content
    from files or databases and the result will be served to the client
    [browser] to render along with any client-side scripting, if included. Once
    the browser gets the content, the ASP and database processing has been
    completed until another trip to the server to get more.

    HTH...

    --
    Roland Hall
    or fitness for a particular purpose. */
    Roland Hall, Apr 4, 2004

  3. Matt

    Bob Barrows Guest

    Matt wrote:
    > I always heard people saying IIS ASP front end, and MS-SQL back end.
    > ASP is for server side programming and dynamic content generation,
    > how could it is called front end? Because I thought it is executed in
    > the server, which is back end? I think I am confused with the term
    > front end and back end here.
    >
    > Please advise. Thanks!!

    Front-end/back-end used to apply to 2-tiered client-server database
    applications: the database is the backend, and the application code is the
    front-end.

    With a database application using asp, you actually have 3 or more tiers:
    the client-side gui, the webserver asp code, and the database.

    It is still common to refer to the database as the back end, despite the
    fact that only one of the 3 tiers is being described. I guess the
    client-side code could be called the front-end, the server-side asp code the
    middle, and the database the back end. But this analogy breaks down when
    other components are involved in the middle. So some people take the easy
    way and call all the code that delivers the content to the user the "front
    end". It's not exactly accurate, but, it does serve the purpose of providing
    a short-hand way of referring to all those tiers.

    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows, Apr 4, 2004
  4. Matt

    Ken VdB Guest

    Hi Matt,

    I think it just depends on how you look at it. I agree that because ASP is
    server-side it should therefore technically be considered a "back-end" tier.
    However when compared, for example, to a VB6 application the part that
    creates the forms and presents the data to the user (creates the UI) is
    considered the "client". For this reason most people think of the ASP tier
    as being the client or "front-end" because it is responsible for generating
    the part the user interacts with. While you could perform intense business
    logic in ASP/VBScript code you probably shouldn't. ASP should be used for
    taking the data and presenting it to the user in a nice way. You would then
    also use it to take input from the user, roll it up and send it to your
    middle-tier COM object or to your database. Technically the only part of
    the process that is truly "front-end" code is any JavaScript that you may
    have on the page. This actually runs inside the users browser and therefore
    on the client machine.

    I do all my business logic in COM or, better yet, in stored procedures on
    the data-tier. I like to use the principal of moving my processing to my
    data rather then my data to my processing. This is the reason I do as much
    as I can in the data tier. I also find this scales well.

    For example the order-entry system used by our sales staff for taking orders
    over the telephone is web-based. When adding items to the order I use a
    stored procedure like this

    OEAddOrderDetail @OrderID, @ItemNumber, @Qty

    These are the only three pieces of information the server needs from the UI.
    It does not need the price. In our scenario prices cannot be overridden so
    they are figured out on the server side by the Qty ordered. The same stored
    procedure does a SUM to recalculate the subtotal. It then estimates Freight
    and calculates the tax. This is all done server-side in the data-tier. The
    data I need to figure these things out is all in my database. Why pass it
    up through 10 layers of software (OLDB, ODBC, ADO) just to add it up and
    send it back down?

    Cheers,

    Ken.

    Ken VdB, Apr 5, 2004