IIS forcing app to use .Net 2.0 when 1.1 is specified

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by kmsuzuki@gmail.com, Oct 9, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I have a Windows Server 2003 + IIS6 with both .Net 1.1 and 2.0
    installed. In the past, I've had no problems using the ASP.NET tab in
    the IIS Manager to specify which framework version a given application
    should use.

    I created a .Net 1.1 VB.NET web service in Visual Studio.NET 2003. I
    built it and then copied it to the web server described above,
    specifying in IIS Manager that it should use the 1.1. framework. When
    I try to run the app, however, I get the exception below. As you can
    see, it is using the 2.0 framework, which makes the exception an
    expected one given the changes to System.Configuration in 2.0.

    The IIS Manager GUI lets me switch between 1.1 and 2.0 frameworks for
    this application all day long, but the settings are not truly applied;
    no matter what's specified, IIS always uses 2.0. I've tried various
    IIS restart permutations with no success.

    I've even gone into the application configuration settings to specify a
    specific 1.1 AppPool, but this too had no effect.

    I'd appreciate any insight into this.

    ----------------------
    Configuration Error
    ----------------------
    file required to service this request. Please review the specific error
    details below and modify your configuration file appropriately.

    allowDefinition='MachineToApplication' beyond application level. This
    error can be caused by a virtual directory not being configured as an
    application in IIS.

    Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:2.0.50727.42;
    ASP.NET Version:2.0.50727.42

    , Oct 9, 2006

  2. App Pool for 1.1? Chck
    Put the site in the App pool for 1.1? ??????
    Run aspnet_regiss /s on the directory in question? ??????

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think outside of the box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Oct 9, 2006

  3. Ken Guest

    Running aspnet_regiis /s (the 1.1 version) on the specific application
    worked, and now that application runs under 1.1.

    It did have some side effects: All of the 2.0 applications on that
    server broke, even those that lived in different websites. The error
    that I got was:

    "It is not possible to run two different versions of ASP.NET in the
    same IIS process. Please use the IIS Administration Tool to reconfigure
    your server to run the application in a separate process."

    When I checked the the ASP.NET tab on my 2.0 apps, they all still
    reported that they were configured to use .Net 2.0 in the default app
    pool. I modified these apps to explicitly use the 2.0 app pool, and
    they came back online. So at this point, all of my 1.1 and 2.0 apps
    appear to be co-existing peacefully.

    Thanks.

    Ken, Oct 11, 2006