IIS refuses to parse ASP.NET or ASP (but not both at the same time)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Rea, May 26, 2004.

  1. Rea

    Rea Guest

    Hi,

    I'm seeking some help for a problem that I'm trying to tackle for some
    days now. I've searched all over the web and tried everything I can
    possibly think of.

    Here's the problem: Recently I noticed that my webserver (IIS5 on
    Windows 2000 server) refused to server ASPX pages after a reboot.
    All pages return a "Server Application Unavailable".

    The evenlogs show this message:

    aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
    80004005. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
    insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure that
    the .NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on the
    installation directory allow access to the configured account.

    Looking into the problem gives some hint on resolving the problem:

    - It's related to version 1.0 of the framework on Windows XP
    - It occurs when running on a domain controller
    - Make sure you've set the right permissions on all important folders
    - change the userName in machine.config
    - retry installing IIS, the dotNet Framework etc.
    - running regiis

    All things above I've tried one or several times.

    Here's the strange thing:

    After resetting IIS (iisrestart) SOMETIMES suddenly IIS will server aspx
    pages but then "classic" ASP pages result in an "INTERNAL SERVER
    ERROR" with the following lines in the eventlog:

    An error from W3SVC
    Out of process application '/LM/W3SVC/1/Root' terminated unexpectedly.
    For additional information specific to this message please visit the
    Microsoft Online Support site located at:

    An erro from DCOM:
    The server {3D14228D-FBE1-11D0-995D-00C04FD919C1} did not register with
    DCOM within the required timeout.

    So: Both ASP and ASP.NET are basicly working, but never on the same
    time. I'm not sure why sometimes it's ASP that's started, and sometimes
    ASP.NET, but I think it's related to whatever is requested first.

    Since I really thing I've tried everything: Where should I go from here?

    Thanks in advance,

    Remco

    p.s.

    Please reply to the group for educational and archival purposes.
    Rea, May 26, 2004

  2. Rea

    Natty Gur Guest

    Hi,

    1) are you writing from your application to ASPX bin folder? if so,
    everytime you write to bin folder the ASP.NET recycle application app
    domain and cause it to be unavialable.

    2) open regedit and look for "3D14228D-FBE1-11D0-995D-00C04FD919C1" key.
    what is the value inside InprocServer32 key?

    Natty Gur[MVP]

    blog : http://weblogs.asp.net/ngur
    Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377

    Natty Gur, May 27, 2004

  3. Rea

    Rea Guest

    Re: IIS refuses to parse ASP.NET or ASP (but not both at the sametime)

    Hi Natty and others,

    This is a message to let you all know that I've (well 'we' actually,
    since I was investigating this problem with a collegue) solved the problem.

    After trying everything we could think of we went back through our steps
    and it appeared that setting the colordepth of the desktop back to
    16bits instead of 32bits did the trick. This behaviour is reproducable
    on that specific machine (Dell PowerEdge 1750) but not on similair other
    machines (we've tried a different PE1750, but it was ordered 6 months
    later so possibly it has different videodrivers).

    Well, the problem is solved however I still have the faintest idea why
    the desktop color depth is influencing the parser of the pages.

    Best Regards and thanks for you help anyway,

    Remco
    Rea, May 27, 2004