IIS refuses to parse ASP.NET or ASP (but not both at the same time)

Rea

Hi,

I'm seeking some help for a problem that I'm trying to tackle for some
days now. I've searched all over the web and tried everything I can
possibly think of.

Here's the problem: Recently I noticed that my webserver (IIS5 on
Windows 2000 server) refused to server ASPX pages after a reboot.
All pages return a "Server Application Unavailable".

The evenlogs show this message:

aspnet_wp.exe could not be started. The error code for the failure is
80004005. This error can be caused when the worker process account has
insufficient rights to read the .NET Framework files. Please ensure that
the .NET Framework is correctly installed and that the ACLs on the
installation directory allow access to the configured account.

Looking into the problem gives some hint on resolving the problem:

- It's related to version 1.0 of the framework on Windows XP
- It occurs when running on a domain controller
- Make sure you've set the right permissions on all important folders
- change the userName in machine.config
- retry installing IIS, the dotNet Framework etc.
- running regiis

All things above I've tried one or several times.

Here's the strange thing:

After resetting IIS (iisrestart) SOMETIMES suddenly IIS will server aspx
pages but then "classic" ASP pages result in an "INTERNAL SERVER
ERROR" with the following lines in the eventlog:

An error from W3SVC
Out of process application '/LM/W3SVC/1/Root' terminated unexpectedly.
For additional information specific to this message please visit the
Microsoft Online Support site located at:

An erro from DCOM:
The server {3D14228D-FBE1-11D0-995D-00C04FD919C1} did not register with
DCOM within the required timeout.

So: Both ASP and ASP.NET are basicly working, but never on the same
time. I'm not sure why sometimes it's ASP that's started, and sometimes
ASP.NET, but I think it's related to whatever is requested first.

Since I really thing I've tried everything: Where should I go from here?

Thanks in advance,

Remco

p.s.

Please reply to the group for educational and archival purposes.

Natty Gur

Hi,

1) are you writing from your application to ASPX bin folder? if so,
everytime you write to bin folder the ASP.NET recycle application app
domain and cause it to be unavialable.

2) open regedit and look for "3D14228D-FBE1-11D0-995D-00C04FD919C1" key.
what is the value inside InprocServer32 key?

Natty Gur[MVP]

blog : http://weblogs.asp.net/ngur
Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377

Rea

Hi Natty and others,

This is a message to let you all know that I've (well 'we' actually,
since I was investigating this problem with a collegue) solved the problem.

After trying everything we could think of we went back through our steps
and it appeared that setting the colordepth of the desktop back to
16bits instead of 32bits did the trick. This behaviour is reproducable
on that specific machine (Dell PowerEdge 1750) but not on similair other
machines (we've tried a different PE1750, but it was ordered 6 months
later so possibly it has different videodrivers).

Well, the problem is solved however I still have the faintest idea why
the desktop color depth is influencing the parser of the pages.

Best Regards and thanks for you help anyway,

Remco