It is not possible to run two different versions of ASP.NET in the same IIS process.

Dica

i keep getting "It is not possible to run two different versions of ASP.NET
in the same IIS process." in my event logs. i know how to resolve the
problem, but i've got hundreds of web sites on my server.

is there a simple way of tracking down which site(s) are causing this error?

tks

Juan T. Llibre

Hi, Dica.

re:
!> is there a simple way of tracking down which site(s) are causing this error?

The likeliest culprit is the last application you configured.

If you don't recall which one that was, check the applications'
folder creation dates...and start checking the last apps created.

Mike

Create a new app log under IIS one for .NET 1.x and one for .NET 2.0 and
then point your web apps to the correct app pool.

You can't run .NET 1.x and .NET 2.0 in the same app pool, they have to be
seperate.

Mike

I meant App Pool under IIS not app log under IIS
Mike said:
Create a new app log under IIS one for .NET 1.x and one for .NET 2.0 and
then point your web apps to the correct app pool.

You can't run .NET 1.x and .NET 2.0 in the same app pool, they have to be
seperate.

Dica

Juan T. Llibre said:
Hi, Dica.

re:
!> is there a simple way of tracking down which site(s) are causing this
error?

The likeliest culprit is the last application you configured.

If you don't recall which one that was, check the applications'
folder creation dates...and start checking the last apps created.

unfortunately, this started happening after we set up our new server and
manually set re-created all the IIS sites, so i really have no history to
work off.

Dica

yeah, i was wondering about the log setting. i've created separate pools for
the dot net sites i know about, but wish the err logs were a little more
specific about which site is causing the problem.

Juan T. Llibre

It looks like your best recourse is running

aspnet_regiis -lk

....from any of the .Net Framework directories.

That will give you a list of applications and tell you whether
they are running under the .Net Framework 1.1 or 2.0.

Maybe something will jog your memory.

The lesson to be learned from your problem is that you should
keep a log of which applications run under which .Net Framework.

If you had that now, it would have saved you a lot of hassles.

Guest

It looks like your best recourse is running

aspnet_regiis -lk

just want to add that you can find the name of the site in
system32\inetsvr\MetaBase.xml

aspnet_regiis -lk gives just an id from the IIS metabase

Guest

re:
!> just want to add that you can find the name of the site in
!> system32\inetsvr\MetaBase.xml

...although sifting through all the info in MetaBase.xml could take some time

Open in notepad, Ctrl+F

:))

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> Open in notepad, Ctrl+F

<chuckle>

I'll take that comment as being tongue-in-cheek.

Guest

re:
!> Open in notepad, Ctrl+F

<chuckle>

I'll take that comment as being tongue-in-cheek.

Juan, to search by id of one of hundreds of web sites in Metabase
Explorer could take some time too, to be honest. I agree it's a great
tool, but there is no search functionality and you have to install
it. So, there is no irony here, notepad is just another approach.