IIS Services Stop - got no solution

Niel

Hello friends,
I think this issue has been posted before but i have not been able to get
any solution that is why i am posting it again in detail as to

what exactly is happneing in my case. Hope i will get solution this time.
Any help would be appreciated.

Now we are building dynamic websites. The Operating system that we have is
Windows 2000(not Advanced server not Profession), it just says

Windows 2000 Terminal, and the Web server that we have on it is IIS 5.0. The
scripting language that we are using for dynamic websites is ASP

and the database that we are connecting to is (which is hosted on another
server) is MSSQL. Everthing is behind the firewall and secured just

now.

Now we are lately getting this problem where our IIS services are getting
terminated unexpectedly. They have started behaving wierdly.
WE have to manually restart the service again to make our websties work.
Sometimes is WWw services, sometimes it SMTP service.
At times it also happens that the WWW service is working fine but the SMTP
is not, so i just start that service and i don't know if it

conflicts or what is it but then due to start of SMTP service the WWW
services gets stopped. So whenever such happens the best thing that i do

is stop the IIS services(WWW, SMTP and FTP) and start again. Then it works
fine but again next day some how it stops again.

As a result some of our sites (not all) but some of our websites that have
asp pages just don't display and the error message comes up in the

browser which is as follows

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
HTTP/1.1 New Application Failed
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I checked for this error. In most of the places it says that it is beacuse
of bad global.asa file, but it is the same file that which is being

working good since last 3 years and i checked it properly to make sure that
it was not corrupted, but the file is just fine.
However in the microsoft website it gives a totally different reason for
this error. Below is the link for the same.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:
80/support/kb/articles/Q210/8/42.asp&NoWebContent=1
but this article is of also not use to me.
Also in my asp pages i am starting and closing the connections and
recordsets properly so i think even this is not a problem which is leading

to this error.

One strange thing i noticed is that when the services stop and this error
comes, it does not just come in all the website asp pages that we

have hosted. It just comes in 1 or 2 websites which is making me think if
this is website specific or what is it. And also everytime it is not

the same website that stops.
So this was all related to the Error message that comes on website.

Going back to the services being stopped, i read at few places and it said
that such a behaviour could happend when the computer is affected by

the Code Red or Code Red II worm.
So i downloaded the patch, installed it and ran it, also did the latest
windows update and then restrarted the computer, worked fine for a day

but again the same thing.
Also it didn't find any code red worm of if it did then the patch cleaned it
as it showed in the text file on the desktop after i restarted

that the worm if any has been cleaned.

I checked the event manager for viewing the Error messages and following is
what is shows

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7031
done this X time(s).
The following corrective action will be taken in 1 milliseconds: Run the
configured recovery program

and

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7031
unexpectedly. It has done this X time(s).
The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart
the service.

and

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7031
unexpectedly. It has done this X time(s).
The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart
the service.

I checked for these errors at different place and it says that the error is
because the computer is affected with the code worm virus
but as i wrote earlier that i have already donwloaded and installed the
patch as well as have run Latest Windows Update and then restarted the

computer.

So please if anyone has any idea what wrong is happening with my server
please let me know ASAP as this is now really driving me crazy
and i have tried all different ways but haven't yet got a solution.

Thank you for devoting enough time to read this.
Hope for a solution

Niel

Dan Boylett

Niel said:
Event Type: Error
Event Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 7031
unexpectedly. It has done this X time(s).
The following corrective action will be taken in 60000 milliseconds: Restart
the service.

I checked for these errors at different place and it says that the error is
because the computer is affected with the code worm virus
but as i wrote earlier that i have already donwloaded and installed the
patch as well as have run Latest Windows Update and then restarted the

Have you got a virus checker (that's up to date?) - have you scanned this
box? Not just for code red, but everything else?

Do you have any kind of custom application installed (DLL) that uses the Web
services that may be crashing and taking them with it?

In the _short_ term, you can configure IIS to restart itself should it
fail - do this in the services console. The same for W3WVC and SMTPSvc.
However this will mask the problem rather then solve it.

Niel

Well for anti-virus we will have to update the latest one and will see what
happens, but for the second thing that you have written, i didn't get it
what you are trying to say

In the _short_ term, you can configure IIS to restart itself should it
fail - do this in the services console. The same for W3WVC and SMTPSvc.
However this will mask the problem rather then solve it.

Please let me know about above thing as to what should i change in services.

Beer

Hello,

You can go to Services thru Administrative Tools / Control
Panel, then right-click on each service to go to the
Propertise. Click on the Recovery tab, and change the
actions from there.

Hope that helps.

Beer

Niel

Thanks for the reply. Yes that i already did. i.e. on Failures 1st 2nd and
subsequent faliure i am making restart the services. But this is just a
temporary solution. I mean i can see in the even viewer that the service
stop and start like every 15-20 mins. which could be affecting our traffic.
If you have any other solution, a permanent please let me know.

Thank you