IIS with webapps

Guest

Hi,

I have an Intranet webapp that I want to deploy to my customers.

Myself I'm using Windows 2000 Professional to develop my webapps. But since
IIS has to be on any computer that acts as a webserver, how do you install
IIS on other windows operating systems. Like Win98, WinXP that my customers
have.

Is IIS 5 that comes with Windows 2000 free to deploy on a cd to a customer
or does everyone have it's own. I know Win98 have a personal webserver, how
is it with WinXP.

Is there a possibility to create a deployproject in asp.net with VS.NET 2003
that first installs the IIS on the endusers computer and then configures it?

/Kenneth

Peter Rilling

For the most part you cannot. Not all OSs are capable of supporting IIS (or
more precisly, Microsoft does not want IIS installed on all OSs). For
instance, XP Home cannot have IIS (without some hacks) while XP Professional
can. Win98 probably cannot.

Guest

Hmmm...

Seems I have to reevaliate my plans. I planned to be able to deploy to a lot
of customer machines.

Is Windows Forms a better alternative, it probably only needs .Net Framework
and mdac and a database or xml to work on every client OS including Win 98?

/Kenneth