    Glenn
    --
    [remove nospam to reply]
    Glenn Jarvis, Feb 13, 2004

  2. Quoth the raven named Glenn Jarvis:

    > This may be the dumbest question in a while, but I can't seem to solve
    > the problem. I have an image (title) at the top of the page. However
    > it's created at 800 x 175. Now, if someone views the page and they are
    > at 1024 x 768 or (hopefully not,but possible) 640 x 480 or any other
    > resolution, how do I get the image to be presented properly?

    Resolution is unimportant. Browser window size IS important. Your page
    has no way to determine what my browser window size is. I may be using
    a 1024 monitor with a browser only 700 pixels wide.

    This page may help:
    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign

    > Does one just make it 1024 x 175 and people would have to scroll to the
    > right?

    One should not use any objects that are wider than about 500/600
    pixels, unless you are displaying photographs where size does matter.

    For a title or heading graphic, keep it at least under 640.

    > Thanks in advance for your patience :)

    You're welcome.

    --
    -bts
    -This space intentionally left blank.
    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 13, 2004

  3. Glenn Jarvis

    Richard Guest

    Glenn Jarvis wrote:

    > This may be the dumbest question in a while, but I can't seem to solve
    > the problem. I have an image (title) at the top of the page. However
    > it's created at 800 x 175. Now, if someone views the page and they are
    > at 1024 x 768 or (hopefully not,but possible) 640 x 480 or any other
    > resolution, how do I get the image to be presented properly?
    > Does one just make it 1024 x 175 and people would have to scroll to the
    > right?
    > Thanks in advance for your patience :)
    > Glenn
    > --
    > [remove nospam to reply]

    Basically correct. As the image can't be proportioned according to screen
    size, the scrollbars come into play.
    You might be able to find a script somewhere that will adjust the image size
    in accordance with the screen resolution.
    Richard, Feb 13, 2004
  4. Glenn Jarvis

    rf Guest

    "Richard" <anonymous@127.000> wrote in message
    > Glenn Jarvis wrote:
    >
    > > This may be the dumbest question in a while, but I can't seem to solve
    > > the problem. I have an image (title) at the top of the page. However
    > > it's created at 800 x 175. Now, if someone views the page and they are
    > > at 1024 x 768 or (hopefully not,but possible) 640 x 480 or any other
    > > resolution, how do I get the image to be presented properly?
    > > Does one just make it 1024 x 175 and people would have to scroll to the
    > > right?
    > > Thanks in advance for your patience :)
    > > Glenn
    > > --

    > Basically correct. As the image can't be proportioned according to screen
    > size, the scrollbars come into play.

    Wrong answer. Simply giving an image width="100%" will cause it to scale to
    the canvas size. In the absence of a height attribute the images proportion
    will be kept. The browser does this horribly of course.

    > You might be able to find a script somewhere that will adjust the image

    size
    > in accordance with the screen resolution.

    Wrong answer. See above.

    Cheers
    Richard.
    rf, Feb 13, 2004
  5. Glenn Jarvis wrote:

    > This may be the dumbest question in a while, but I can't seem to solve
    > the problem. I have an image (title) at the top of the page. However
    > it's created at 800 x 175. Now, if someone views the page and they are
    > at 1024 x 768 or (hopefully not,but possible) 640 x 480 or any other
    > resolution, how do I get the image to be presented properly?

    Depending on the image, you may be able to use the ALA "sliding doors"
    solution.

    http://www.alistapart.com/articles/slidingdoors/

    Lief here redid one of my designs using it:

    http://tw.ecritters.biz/html_examples/unfixed_modern/

    And you can see the result here:

    original - http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/setstyle?style=modern
    new - http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/setstyle?style=modern2

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby A Inkster, Feb 13, 2004
  6. Glenn Jarvis

    rf Guest

    "Toby A Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > Glenn Jarvis wrote:
    >
    > Depending on the image, you may be able to use the ALA "sliding doors"
    > solution.

    http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/gradient.html

    Flavour to taste.

    Cheers