Image - Screen Resolution

Glenn Jarvis

This may be the dumbest question in a while, but I can't seem to solve
the problem. I have an image (title) at the top of the page. However
it's created at 800 x 175. Now, if someone views the page and they are
at 1024 x 768 or (hopefully not,but possible) 640 x 480 or any other
resolution, how do I get the image to be presented properly?
Does one just make it 1024 x 175 and people would have to scroll to the
right?
Thanks in advance for your patience :)
Glenn

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Quoth the raven named Glenn Jarvis:
This may be the dumbest question in a while, but I can't seem to solve
the problem. I have an image (title) at the top of the page. However
it's created at 800 x 175. Now, if someone views the page and they are
at 1024 x 768 or (hopefully not,but possible) 640 x 480 or any other
resolution, how do I get the image to be presented properly?

Resolution is unimportant. Browser window size IS important. Your page
has no way to determine what my browser window size is. I may be using
a 1024 monitor with a browser only 700 pixels wide.

This page may help:
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign
Does one just make it 1024 x 175 and people would have to scroll to the
right?

One should not use any objects that are wider than about 500/600
pixels, unless you are displaying photographs where size does matter.

For a title or heading graphic, keep it at least under 640.
Thanks in advance for your patience :)

You're welcome.

Richard

Glenn said:
This may be the dumbest question in a while, but I can't seem to solve
the problem. I have an image (title) at the top of the page. However
it's created at 800 x 175. Now, if someone views the page and they are
at 1024 x 768 or (hopefully not,but possible) 640 x 480 or any other
resolution, how do I get the image to be presented properly?
Does one just make it 1024 x 175 and people would have to scroll to the
right?
Thanks in advance for your patience :)
Glenn

Basically correct. As the image can't be proportioned according to screen
size, the scrollbars come into play.
You might be able to find a script somewhere that will adjust the image size
in accordance with the screen resolution.

rf

Richard said:
Basically correct. As the image can't be proportioned according to screen
size, the scrollbars come into play.

Wrong answer. Simply giving an image width="100%" will cause it to scale to
the canvas size. In the absence of a height attribute the images proportion
will be kept. The browser does this horribly of course.
You might be able to find a script somewhere that will adjust the image size
in accordance with the screen resolution.

Wrong answer. See above.

Cheers
Richard.

Toby A Inkster

Glenn said:
This may be the dumbest question in a while, but I can't seem to solve
the problem. I have an image (title) at the top of the page. However
it's created at 800 x 175. Now, if someone views the page and they are
at 1024 x 768 or (hopefully not,but possible) 640 x 480 or any other
resolution, how do I get the image to be presented properly?

Depending on the image, you may be able to use the ALA "sliding doors"
solution.

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/slidingdoors/

Lief here redid one of my designs using it:

http://tw.ecritters.biz/html_examples/unfixed_modern/

And you can see the result here:

original - http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/setstyle?style=modern
new - http://www.goddamn.co.uk/tobyink/setstyle?style=modern2