Images do not display.

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Dave Kelly, Jun 16, 2007.

  1. Dave Kelly

    Dave Kelly Guest

    Dave Kelly, Jun 16, 2007

  2. Dave Kelly

    Dave Kelly Guest

    Dave Kelly wrote:
    > Would someone look here and tell me why these images do not display.
    > http://www.texasflyfishers.org/images/HarryCCI.htm
    > Thanks.
    > Dave

    Let me clarify that a little more. Most of the images seem to be doing
    just fine. Three do not display.

    A little rum in the morning coffee. Just to clear the cobwebs, ya know.
    Dave Kelly, Jun 16, 2007

  3. Dave Kelly wrote:
    > Would someone look here and tell me why these images do not display.
    > http://www.texasflyfishers.org/images/HarryCCI.htm
    > Thanks.
    > Dave

    Maybe the embedded carriage returns and punctuation like "?" in the
    image names!

    "Bill demonstrates how to cast a whopper. This was number two.
    The first one was much nicer. David's slow reaction missed it.JPG"

    try "BillCastsWhopper.JPG" as a better file name!!!

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com
    Jonathan N. Little, Jun 17, 2007
  4. Dave Kelly

    Neredbojias Guest

    On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 22:37:42 GMT Dave Kelly scribed:

    > Would someone look here and tell me why these images do not display.
    > http://www.texasflyfishers.org/images/HarryCCI.htm
    > Thanks.
    > Dave

    Regarding the non-functional images, you've got line-feeds embedded within
    the file name.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Jun 17, 2007
  5. Dave Kelly

    dorayme Guest

    In article <9f27b$46747238$40cba7a8$>,
    "Jonathan N. Little" <> wrote:

    > Dave Kelly wrote:
    > > Would someone look here and tell me why these images do not display.
    > > http://www.texasflyfishers.org/images/HarryCCI.htm
    > > Thanks.
    > > Dave
    > >

    > Maybe the embedded carriage returns and punctuation like "?" in the
    > image names!
    >
    > "Bill demonstrates how to cast a whopper. This was number two.
    > The first one was much nicer. David's slow reaction missed it.JPG"
    >

    > try "BillCastsWhopper.JPG" as a better file name!!!

    Well, OPs names are quite a blast. Op should try at the least
    removing the full stops in the ones that do not load. They
    confuse the issue badly. The others load fine in some browsers
    inspite of the prolixity of the names

    --
    dorayme
    dorayme, Jun 17, 2007
  6. Dave Kelly

    Dave Kelly Guest

    Dave Kelly wrote:
    > Would someone look here and tell me why these images do not display.
    > http://www.texasflyfishers.org/images/HarryCCI.htm
    > Thanks.
    > Dave

    Would like to thank everyone for reminding an old man to do his homework
    before raising his hand and asking for help.

    Also to chastise me sternly for forgetting that I had almost the same
    problem last week and figured it out myself.

    Do have a question. Is it the 'html' code that has trouble reading the
    file name with the embedded line feed? I ask that because on a linux
    system, both 'gwenview' and 'display' read and displayed those images
    without any problems.

    --
    A little rum in the morning coffee. Just to clear the cobwebs, ya know.
    Dave Kelly, Jun 17, 2007
  7. Dave Kelly wrote:
    > Dave Kelly wrote:
    >> Would someone look here and tell me why these images do not display.
    >> http://www.texasflyfishers.org/images/HarryCCI.htm
    >> Thanks.
    >> Dave
    >>

    > Would like to thank everyone for reminding an old man to do his homework
    > before raising his hand and asking for help.
    >
    > Also to chastise me sternly for forgetting that I had almost the same
    > problem last week and figured it out myself.
    >
    > Do have a question. Is it the 'html' code that has trouble reading the
    > file name with the embedded line feed? I ask that because on a linux
    > system, both 'gwenview' and 'display' read and displayed those images
    > without any problems.

    In simple terms, technical language aside: four-sentence paragraphs used
    as filenames are just plain silly.

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Jun 17, 2007
  8. On 2007-06-17, Dave Kelly wrote:
    > Dave Kelly wrote:
    >> Would someone look here and tell me why these images do not display.
    >> http://www.texasflyfishers.org/images/HarryCCI.htm
    >> Thanks.
    >> Dave
    >>

    > Would like to thank everyone for reminding an old man to do his homework
    > before raising his hand and asking for help.
    >
    > Also to chastise me sternly for forgetting that I had almost the same
    > problem last week and figured it out myself.
    >
    > Do have a question. Is it the 'html' code that has trouble reading the
    > file name with the embedded line feed? I ask that because on a linux
    > system, both 'gwenview' and 'display' read and displayed those images
    > without any problems.

    While any character except a slash and NUL (ASCII 0) are
    permissible in a Unix file name, portability is not guaranteed
    unless only characters in the Portable Filename Character Set
    (letters, numbers, underscore, hyphen and dot) are used:

    <http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/basedefs/xbd_chap03.html#tag_03_276>

    Author:
    Chris F.A. Johnson, Jun 17, 2007
  9. Dave Kelly wrote:
    > Dave Kelly wrote:
    >> Would someone look here and tell me why these images do not display.
    >> http://www.texasflyfishers.org/images/HarryCCI.htm
    >> Thanks.
    >> Dave
    >>

    > Would like to thank everyone for reminding an old man to do his homework
    > before raising his hand and asking for help.
    >
    > Also to chastise me sternly for forgetting that I had almost the same
    > problem last week and figured it out myself.
    >
    > Do have a question. Is it the 'html' code that has trouble reading the
    > file name with the embedded line feed? I ask that because on a linux
    > system, both 'gwenview' and 'display' read and displayed those images
    > without any problems.

    Don't beat yourself up too much. Many Windoweans have been caught by
    Windows' case-insensitivity and then upload to a *nix server and the
    pictures|pages are missing!

    But just a a practical level a paragraph seems a bit excessive for a
    file name.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    Jonathan N. Little, Jun 17, 2007
  10. Dave Kelly

    Neredbojias Guest

    On Sun, 17 Jun 2007 20:25:50 GMT Dave Kelly scribed:

    > Dave Kelly wrote:
    > Do have a question. Is it the 'html' code that has trouble reading the
    > file name with the embedded line feed? I ask that because on a linux
    > system, both 'gwenview' and 'display' read and displayed those images
    > without any problems.

    It's the parser of the markup that counts.

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Jun 17, 2007