importerror all 3rd party modules

nyiann

Hi,

Brand new to python. I am trying to install the py2exe modeule, and when
I run scripts (simple ones I've made, and examples) I get an importerror.
At the python command line I type:
import py2exe
and get: 'ImportError: no module named py2exe

So installed everything on my laptop (windows me) and it all works fine.
Has anyone seen this before? Am I importing the module incorrectly? Are
there platform specifics issues when installing 3rd party modules?

Any suggestions appreciated,

John Machin

nyiann said:
Hi,

Brand new to python. I am trying to install the py2exe modeule, and when
I run scripts (simple ones I've made, and examples) I get an importerror.
At the python command line I type:
import py2exe
and get: 'ImportError: no module named py2exe

Aside: py2exe is used for packaging up Python fully-tested
production-ready scripts so that they can be run as stand-alone
executables in environments where the BOsFH won't let you install
Python. You don't *need* py2exe to run a Python script. It is *not* a
"compiler"; it doesn't make your script run faster. As you are "brand
new to Python", you may want to postpone your investigation of py2exe
for a little while.
So installed everything on my laptop (windows me) and it all works
fine.

It's nice to know that it "works fine" on your laptop. However
palantirs exist only in the story-books; so that we can help you with
the platform on which it *doesn't* work, could you possibly divulge:
which version of Windows, which version of Python, what "trying to
install" means, what example/script you were trying to run, what the
import error was [copy/paste], ...
Has anyone seen this before? Am I importing the module incorrectly? Are
there platform specifics issues when installing 3rd party modules?

If any, they would be typically be mentioned in the documentation for
the module. Typically, the module's setup.py would handle this.