imstant messenger using java net and mutilthreading .. please help

Santosh Kulkarni

hello everybody,

my name is santosh.
i want to implement an instant messenger system using java network
programming adn multi threading(many clients having private chat via
server .. no chatrooms).
please tell me on how to proceed .

i have the general knowledge of Socket and ServerSocket.
i have the general knowledge of multithreading
actually the flow of events is clear in my mind .. i just get blank
when i start to code the client side..
i have nearly finished the server side of the application.

i dont have knowlegde of swing .. but i want to build ui using swing
only.
i dont have knowledge of eventhandling

*the contact list for any user is stored in a mysql database.
*the initial ChatClient will be an applet where the client views his
online and offline contacts in his web browser.
*he can double click on any online contact and start havng private
chat session with him..
*pleeeaase help me out.

i am deep shit now.. and i need to complete the application in 4 days.
please help.

santosh.

alan jeeves

For the GUI - I can highly recommend JBuilder X - great drag n drop
interface builder.
And the code generated is quite good too.
Though try not to touch its generated code yourself - as it can easily get
confused!

Although the whole IDE can get a bit slow to respond at times

If I was you I would mock up a prototype of your front end - without
worrying about connecting with the server etc - then do the server comm.
after you got a good enough UI done.

Alan.