    out what s involved.

    TIA
    Brian Tozer
    KiwiBrian, Mar 7, 2005

  2. KiwiBrian

    Toby Inkster Guest

    KiwiBrian wrote:

    > Can anyone point me to a basic article/tutorial that will tell me what is
    > involved in incorporating an XML feed into a web page?

    What do you mean by "incorporating"?

    Are you going to be feeding your content, or are you going to be
    displaying content from someone else's feed?

    Assuming the latter, a two step process, and there are two ways of doing
    it.

    METHOD ONE

    1. Create a cron job to download their feed every couple of hours. Save it
    to some agreed location.
    2. When someone visits your site, use server-side processing to inspect
    the file at the agreed location, parse its contents and then display the
    results to the user.

    METHOD TWO

    1. Create a cron job to download their feed every couple of hours AND
    parse the contents into a more usable form (e.g. entries in a database, or
    better, a finished segment of HTML that can just be inserted into your
    pages)
    2. When someone visits your site, you have less work to do than with
    method one. Your processor will thank you. Retrieve the already parsed
    data and display it.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Toby Inkster, Mar 7, 2005

  3. KiwiBrian

    KiwiBrian Guest

    "Toby Inkster" <> wrote in message
    > KiwiBrian wrote:
    >
    >> Can anyone point me to a basic article/tutorial that will tell me what is
    >> involved in incorporating an XML feed into a web page?

    > What do you mean by "incorporating"?
    >
    > Are you going to be feeding your content, or are you going to be
    > displaying content from someone else's feed?
    >
    > Assuming the latter, a two step process, and there are two ways of doing
    > it.
    >
    > METHOD ONE
    >
    > 1. Create a cron job to download their feed every couple of hours. Save it
    > to some agreed location.
    > 2. When someone visits your site, use server-side processing to inspect
    > the file at the agreed location, parse its contents and then display the
    > results to the user.
    >
    > METHOD TWO
    >
    > 1. Create a cron job to download their feed every couple of hours AND
    > parse the contents into a more usable form (e.g. entries in a database, or
    > better, a finished segment of HTML that can just be inserted into your
    > pages)
    > 2. When someone visits your site, you have less work to do than with
    > method one. Your processor will thank you. Retrieve the already parsed
    > data and display it.

    Thanks Toby for your helpful reply.
    Sorry for the ambiguous question.
    Yes you guessed correctly.
    B.
    KiwiBrian, Mar 7, 2005
  4. KiwiBrian

    Martin Guest

    In article <d0gic5$ako$>, KiwiBrian says...

    >Can anyone point me to a basic article/tutorial that will tell me what is
    >involved in incorporating an XML feed into a web page?
    >I am expecting that it will be beyond my capabilities but would like to find
    >out what s involved.

    There is a great article at
    http://www.small-business-software.net/display-rss.htm about displaying RSS in a
    web page.