inet vs. ie

Web Search Store

Hello,

I'm spidering some search engine results and downloading them using the
inet, internet transfer control. Then also using the Internet Explorer,
because when it finishes downloading a site, the url parameter of the web
browser document will return the real final url name, instead of showing the
long string the search engine used to get to the same site.

Dim webdoc1 As HTMLDocument
Set my_ie = New SHDocVw.InternetExplorer
Set webdoc1 = my_ie.Document
realurl = webdoc1.url

Problem is Internet Explorer seems to slow down the program, and finally
stop it. Not sure why, probably using up memory. Is there another way to
get the real Url without calling Internet explorer?

Thanks.

Scott Baxter

Guest

Scott,
Use the .NET HttpWebrRequest / response classes, or the simplified WebClient
class.
There is plenty of good sample code around. Don't incur the overhead of the
WebBrowser control for multiple requests unless you have a specific need to.
Peter