install_driver(Sybase) failed:

April69

I got the following error messages after I moved my code to a different
SunOS box. Everything worked fine in the previous Sun box:

install_driver(Sybase) failed: Can't load
'/pie/perl-5.6.0/lib/site_perl/5.6.0/sun4-solaris/auto/DBD/Sybase/Sybase.so'
for module DBD::Sybase: ld.so.1: perl: fatal: libtcl.so: open failed:
No such file or directory at
/pie/perl-5.6.0/lib/5.6.0/sun4-solaris/DynaLoader.pm line 200.
at (eval 9) line 3
Perhaps a required shared library or dll isn't installed where expected
at /pie/bin/pdl_sp line 164

I know this is a classic one. I have tried:
1. Move "/usr/lib" after "$SYBASE/lib" in LD_LIBRARY_PATH
2. re-compile DBD, DBI and FreeTDS

But I still got the message. Any thoughts please?

Gary E. Ansok

I got the following error messages after I moved my code to a different
SunOS box. Everything worked fine in the previous Sun box:

install_driver(Sybase) failed: Can't load
'/pie/perl-5.6.0/lib/site_perl/5.6.0/sun4-solaris/auto/DBD/Sybase/Sybase.so'
for module DBD::Sybase: ld.so.1: perl: fatal: libtcl.so: open failed:
No such file or directory at
/pie/perl-5.6.0/lib/5.6.0/sun4-solaris/DynaLoader.pm line 200.
at (eval 9) line 3
Perhaps a required shared library or dll isn't installed where expected
at /pie/bin/pdl_sp line 164

I know this is a classic one. I have tried:
1. Move "/usr/lib" after "$SYBASE/lib" in LD_LIBRARY_PATH
2. re-compile DBD, DBI and FreeTDS

But I still got the message. Any thoughts please?

I just worked through a similar problem on some of my systems.

The message indicates that the missing file is "libtcl.so", required
during loading of Sybase.so.

Make sure you do in fact have libtcl.so on your system (and check
that it's not a broken symlink). If necessary, add its directory
to LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

In my case, it turned out that the Sybase installation directory
had changed from that used when the module was compiled, so the
automatic library search didn't find it. Adding the directory to
LD_LIBRARY_PATH turned out to be a quick workaround (though recompiling
the module might be a better long-term solution).

Gary