Installing 5.8.0 on Solaris with pkgadd, from Sunfreeware.com;perlivp Perl header complaints

Mike Ellwood

This is addressed to anyone who has installed the prebuilt Perl 5.8.0 from
Sunfreeware on Solaris (Sparc) 8 or similar, or who knows the implications
of doing so. Apols to anyone who considers this borderline (or less) for
c.l.p.m. but I think it needs slightly more Perl expertise (more than
mine) than Solaris expertise (arguably):

After downloading Perl 5.8.0 from a mirror of
Sunfreeware.com, then using pkgadd to install on Solaris 8, with apparent
success, I ran perlivp, getting messages like:

Perl header `stdio.ph' does not appear to be properly installed
down to
# Perl header `values.ph' does not appear to be properly installed.
not ok 7
(with many others in between).

Also:
# Required module `GDBM_File' does not appear to be properly installed.
not ok 5

I guess the latter is only an issue if using DBMs, but the headers look
slightly more worrying. What are the implications?

Any thoughts?

I realise that another option is to try building from scratch (and be able
to get a slightly later version) but I was hoping to simplify life a bit
by installing something I know should be built for my environment, and
eliminate possible problems caused by my lack of Perl-building experience.