Installing 5.8.0 on Solaris with pkgadd, from Sunfreeware.com;perlivp Perl header complaints

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by Mike Ellwood, Jan 29, 2004.

  1. Mike Ellwood

    Mike Ellwood Guest

    This is addressed to anyone who has installed the prebuilt Perl 5.8.0 from
    Sunfreeware on Solaris (Sparc) 8 or similar, or who knows the implications
    of doing so. Apols to anyone who considers this borderline (or less) for
    c.l.p.m. but I think it needs slightly more Perl expertise (more than
    mine) than Solaris expertise (arguably):

    After downloading Perl 5.8.0 from a mirror of
    Sunfreeware.com, then using pkgadd to install on Solaris 8, with apparent
    success, I ran perlivp, getting messages like:

    Perl header `stdio.ph' does not appear to be properly installed
    down to
    # Perl header `values.ph' does not appear to be properly installed.
    not ok 7
    (with many others in between).

    Also:
    # Required module `GDBM_File' does not appear to be properly installed.
    not ok 5

    I guess the latter is only an issue if using DBMs, but the headers look
    slightly more worrying. What are the implications?

    Any thoughts?

    I realise that another option is to try building from scratch (and be able
    to get a slightly later version) but I was hoping to simplify life a bit
    by installing something I know should be built for my environment, and
    eliminate possible problems caused by my lack of Perl-building experience.

    Mike Ellwood, Jan 29, 2004