Installing DBI module on Solaris 8

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by naniwadekar, Dec 16, 2004.

  1. naniwadekar

    naniwadekar Guest

    I want to install DBI module on my Sun Sparc server
    which runs Solaris8. I upgraded to Perl 5.8.5 by
    downloading perl_s-5.8.5-sol8-sparc-local.gz from
    sunfreeware.com; then I installed libiconv package.
    Now I want to install gcc before compiling DBI
    and DBD::Oracle modules. Which gcc package I should install? The bigger one
    or the smaller one? On sunfreeware site, two choices are available.
    gcc-3.4.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz
    or gcc_small-3.4.2-sol8-sparc-local.gz

    The GNU C compiler and related programs - installs in /usr/local. This
    package includes the GNU C, C++, g77, Java, and OBJC compiler suites and
    support files. The gcc_small package has ONLY the C and C++ compilers and is
    a much smaller download. These gcc packages require the installation of
    libiconv.

    Should I install gcc or is gcc_small enough?

    Thanks in advance.

    naniwadekar, Dec 16, 2004