installing a session-level error handler?

George Birbilis

Hi all,
I'd like to have an error handler proc installed that can grab unhandled
errors during a Session before the Session object goes down. I mainly want
to log some info kept at the session state upon such an exception, before I
propagate it to the system again

Now I'm catching the errors at global.asax.vb which is too late, since it's
at the Application level and the Session has already died. So I can only log
user's IP address, the error trace and the page it happened at, but not the
username, nor other info related to my application (schoolyear etc.)

thanks in advance for any insights to that,
George

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
George Birbilis <[email protected]>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ QuickTime VCL and ActiveX controls (for PowerPoint/VB/Delphi etc.)
+ Plugs VCL and ActiveX controls (InterProcess/Internet communication)
+ TransFormations, VB6 forms to ASP.net WebForms convertion
http://www.kagi.com/birbilis
+ Robotics
http://www.mech.upatras.gr/~robgroup

Marina

There is no concept of a 'session level' as far as catching errors.

I recommend you make a base page class that inherits from the Page class
that handles the Error event. Then have all your pages inherit from this
page - and all their errors should be handled on the page level.

George Birbilis

thanks a lot,
I wonder how I hadn't noticed the "Error" event at the Page class (inherited
from TemplateControl) and had only spotted the one at global.asax

I use a custom base class already, so it's fine

cheers,
George