Installing Internet Explorer WebControls

samuel

I need to setup the "WebControls" on a server with
the .NET Framework 1.1
For any reason, when I run the iewebcontrols.msi I get
installed another version that's not compatible with
the .NET 1.1

This is what I get when I go the the CMD prompt and
execute:
gacutil /l Microsoft.web.ui.webcontrols

Microsoft (R) .NET Global Assembly Cache Utility.
Version 1.1.4322.573
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1998-2002. All rights
reserved.

The Global Assembly Cache contains the following
assemblies:
Microsoft.web.ui.webcontrols, Version=1.0.2.116,
Culture=neutral, Public
KeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, Custom=null

The cache of ngen files contains the following entries:

Number of items = 1

Lewis Wang [MSFT]

Hi Samuel,

Which version of IEWebControls did you install?

You may install the newest version from
<http://www.asp.net/IEWebControls/Download.aspx?tabindex=0&tabid=1>. The
old version of IEWebControls is not compatible with the .NET Framework 1.1.

Does this answer your question? Please let me know if you need more
information. Thanks.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Lewis

--------------------
| From: "samuel" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "samuel" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Installing Internet Explorer WebControls
| Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 11:22:49 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
|
| I need to setup the "WebControls" on a server with
| the .NET Framework 1.1
| For any reason, when I run the iewebcontrols.msi I get
| installed another version that's not compatible with
| the .NET 1.1
|
| This is what I get when I go the the CMD prompt and
| execute:
| --------------------------------------------------------
| gacutil /l Microsoft.web.ui.webcontrols
| --------------------------------------------------------
|
| Microsoft (R) .NET Global Assembly Cache Utility.
| Version 1.1.4322.573
| Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1998-2002. All rights
| reserved.
|
| The Global Assembly Cache contains the following
| assemblies:
| Microsoft.web.ui.webcontrols, Version=1.0.2.116,
| Culture=neutral, Public
| KeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, Custom=null
|
| The cache of ngen files contains the following entries:
|
| Number of items = 1
| --------------------------------------------------------
|
| does anybody can help me?

Samuel

Lewis,
I had downloaded the same version you mention in your
message.
It works on my workstation, but on the server it does
not. In my PC I have Visual Studio.NET 2003 ( I had the
prior version before and made the upgrade). On the server
I installed the 1.1 Framework and then downloaded the
package you mention.
As it didn't work, I installed the Visual Studio.NET 2003
on it, but it keeps not working. I don't know what to
do...

Any idea?

Thanks in advance,

Sam

samuel

I just run one of the samples that uses the WebControls,
so I can show you what error we are getting:

LOG: Policy not being applied to reference at this time
(private, custom, partial, or location-based assembly
bind).
LOG: Post-policy reference: Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Tempora
ry ASP.NET
Files/root/2135a508/8d69a834/Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.
DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Tempora
ry ASP.NET
Files/root/2135a508/8d69a834/Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls/
Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///c:/inetpub/wwwroot/bin/Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControl
s.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///c:/inetpub/wwwroot/bin/Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControl
s/Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.DLL.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Tempora
ry ASP.NET
Files/root/2135a508/8d69a834/Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.
EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///C:/WINNT/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v1.1.4322/Tempora
ry ASP.NET
Files/root/2135a508/8d69a834/Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls/
Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///c:/inetpub/wwwroot/bin/Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControl
s.EXE.
LOG: Attempting download of new URL
file:///c:/inetpub/wwwroot/bin/Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControl
s/Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.EXE.

----------------------
Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework
Version:1.1.4322.573; ASP.NET Version:1.1.4322.573

Thanks,

Sam

Lewis Wang [MSFT]

Hi Samuel,

It seems that the system is attempting to locate the assembly from
different locations (maybe failed). You may extract the IEWebControls.exe
to a folder and run "build.bat" under the command line using "csc.exe".
Then "Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll" will be created under a new created
"build" folder.

We can Add Reference "Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll" in the ASP.NET
project when we want to use IEWebControls next time.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Lewis

--------------------
| From: "Samuel" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Samuel" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Installing Internet Explorer WebControls
| Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 11:44:48 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
|
| Lewis,
| I had downloaded the same version you mention in your
| message.
| It works on my workstation, but on the server it does
| not. In my PC I have Visual Studio.NET 2003 ( I had the
| prior version before and made the upgrade). On the server
| I installed the 1.1 Framework and then downloaded the
| package you mention.
| As it didn't work, I installed the Visual Studio.NET 2003
| on it, but it keeps not working. I don't know what to
| do...
|
| Any idea?
|
| Thanks in advance,
|
| Sam

| >|
| >| I need to setup the "WebControls" on a server with
| >| the .NET Framework 1.1
| >| For any reason, when I run the iewebcontrols.msi I get
| >| installed another version that's not compatible with
| >| the .NET 1.1
| >|
| >| This is what I get when I go the the CMD prompt and
| >| execute:
| >| -------------------------------------------------------
| -
| >| gacutil /l Microsoft.web.ui.webcontrols
| >| -------------------------------------------------------
| -
| >|
| >| Microsoft (R) .NET Global Assembly Cache Utility.
| >| Version 1.1.4322.573
| >| Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation 1998-2002. All
| rights
| >| reserved.
| >|
| >| The Global Assembly Cache contains the following
| >| assemblies:
| >| Microsoft.web.ui.webcontrols,
| Version=1.0.2.116,
| >| Culture=neutral, Public
| >| KeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35, Custom=null
| >|
| >| The cache of ngen files contains the following entries:
| >|
| >| Number of items = 1
| >| -------------------------------------------------------
| -
| >|
| >| does anybody can help me?
| >|

| >.

Lewis Wang [MSFT]

Hi Samuel,

We may try to remove the old Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll from GAC
before we install the IEWebControls.exe. Please perform the following steps
to remove it:

1. Run cmd in run dialog.
2. cd %systemroot%\assembly\gac\Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls
3. dir (we will see a directory like:1.0.2.**********)
4. cd 1.0.2****************(replace it with the real directory name)
5. dir (we will see all files in the directory. We need to delete all files
in the directory)
6. del __AssemblyInfo__.ini
7. del Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll
8. cd..
9. rd 1.0.2****************(replace it with the real directory name)
10. cd..
11.rd Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls

You may perform the steps above to see if the Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls
has been removed from the GAC. Then you can try to install the
IEWebControls.exe again.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Lewis

--------------------
| From: "samuel" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "samuel" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Installing Internet Explorer WebControls
| Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 07:40:18 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
|
| Hi Lewis,
| I already executed the same steps (build) you
| reccomended. But no matter what I do to install the
| components, I always get a different version than what I
| was expecting.
| Weird is the fact that I have it working properly on my
| desktop.
|
| What else can I try?
|
| Thanks in advance,
|
| Sam

| >|
| >| Any idea?
| >|
| >| Thanks in advance,
| >|
| >| Sam
| >|

| >| >|
| get
| with
| >| >|
| ---
| >| -
| ---
| >| -
| >| >|
| >| rights
| >| >|
| >| Version=1.0.2.116,
| >| >|
| entries:
| >| >|
| ---
| >| -
| >| >|
| >| >|

| >|

| >.

Samuel

Hi Lewis,

OK, I could manually remove the "older" version by using
your step by step instruction. Thank you.

Now my question becomes: How can I manually install
the "newer" version (I already have built the newer
version using the build.bat batch file) ?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance,

Sam

Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll from GAC
before we install the IEWebControls.exe. Please perform the following steps
to remove it:

1. Run cmd in run dialog.
2. cd %systemroot% \assembly\gac\Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls
3. dir (we will see a directory like:1.0.2.**********)
4. cd 1.0.2****************(replace it with the real directory name)
5. dir (we will see all files in the directory. We need to delete all files
in the directory)
6. del __AssemblyInfo__.ini
7. del Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll
8. cd..
9. rd 1.0.2****************(replace it with the real directory name)
10. cd..
11.rd Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls

You may perform the steps above to see if the Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls
has been removed from the GAC. Then you can try to install the
IEWebControls.exe again.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Lewis

--------------------
| From: "samuel" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "samuel" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Installing Internet Explorer WebControls
| Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 07:40:18 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
|
| Hi Lewis,
| I already executed the same steps (build) you
| reccomended. But no matter what I do to install the
| components, I always get a different version than what I
| was expecting.
| Weird is the fact that I have it working properly on my
| desktop.
|
| What else can I try?
|
| Thanks in advance,
|
| Sam

I could uninstall the old version successfully, but
whenever I run the IEWebControls.exe I get the same older
version installed back.
No matter I do, I get always the same old version. I have
created the newer dll version by executing the build.bat,
but I don't know how to make manually the registration
process (doing automatically I get the older version).
Is there any way you can send me a step by step guide to
register and install the newer version?

thanks in advance,

Sam
Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll from GAC
before we install the IEWebControls.exe. Please perform the following steps
to remove it:

1. Run cmd in run dialog.
2. cd %systemroot% \assembly\gac\Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls
3. dir (we will see a directory like:1.0.2.**********)
4. cd 1.0.2****************(replace it with the real directory name)
5. dir (we will see all files in the directory. We need to delete all files
in the directory)
6. del __AssemblyInfo__.ini
7. del Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll
8. cd..
9. rd 1.0.2****************(replace it with the real directory name)
10. cd..
11.rd Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls

You may perform the steps above to see if the Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls
has been removed from the GAC. Then you can try to install the
IEWebControls.exe again.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Lewis

--------------------
| From: "samuel" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "samuel" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Installing Internet Explorer WebControls
| Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 07:40:18 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
|
| Hi Lewis,
| I already executed the same steps (build) you
| reccomended. But no matter what I do to install the
| components, I always get a different version than what I
| was expecting.
| Weird is the fact that I have it working properly on my
| desktop.
|
| What else can I try?
|
| Thanks in advance,
|
| Sam

Thank you for your update.

1. In design mode, you may right click on the ToolBox and choose Add/Remove
Items.
2. Click "Browse", find "Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls.dll" in the OpenFile
dialog. Then click "Open" Button.
3. Select the Web control from Microsoft.Web.UI.WebControls in the right
directory and click "OK".

Now, You will see the Web control added on the ToolBox.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
Lewis

--------------------
| From: "Samuel" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Samuel" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Installing Internet Explorer WebControls
| Date: Tue, 9 Sep 2003 11:40:38 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.webcontrols
|
| Hi Lewis,
|
| I could uninstall the old version successfully, but
| whenever I run the IEWebControls.exe I get the same older
| version installed back.
| No matter I do, I get always the same old version. I have
| created the newer dll version by executing the build.bat,
| but I don't know how to make manually the registration
| process (doing automatically I get the older version).
| Is there any way you can send me a step by step guide to
| register and install the newer version?
|
| thanks in advance,
|
| Sam

| >|