    Perl Coder since 2001
    shift || die;
    -------------------------

    lucas, Dec 24, 2003

  2. On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 10:24:31 -0500
    lucas <> wrote:

    > I'm having trouble installing Math::pari. I found out that it's
    > because the Makefile.PL that comes in the package doesn't use
    > passive mode for FTP, and I need to use passive. I've been trying
    > to install with the mod CPAN, but of course this wont work because
    > of the above. How can I install a module by hand?
    >
    > I downloaded the correct file I needed, unpacked it, fixed the ftp
    > get section to make it use passive mode, and it all worked fine. a
    > Makefile was created, but it installs into the currect directory,
    > and I need it to go into my perl directory (/usr/local/lib/perl5)

    perl Makefile.PL PREFIX=/usr/local
    make
    make test
    su (if you're not root already)
    make install

    You *may* want to double check the PREFIX. I always seem to screw
    that up. But, in this case, I'm pretty sure it's right.

    Also, Math::pari is different from other modules in this respect - if
    it can't find the pari distro, it will download it for you. If this
    is where you're getting hosed up, look in the README or INSTALL
    file(s) for further directions. It's been awhile, but I think the
    author gives some pretty clear directions on what to do if that's the
    case.

    HTH

    --
    Jim

    for more information.

    a fortune quote ...
    7:30, Channel 5: The Bionic Dog (Action/Adventure) The Bionic
    Dog drinks too much and kicks over the National Redwood Forest.

    James Willmore, Dec 24, 2003

  3. lucas

    lucas Guest

    Thanks ;)
    I thought about using the 'prefix' paramater, but didn't turns out it worked
    fine. I didn't find anything in the readme or install files about problems
    with ftp. So, if anybody wants to know what I did to get around the ftp
    requiring PASV to work properly, here you go:
    Download the package (Math-Pari-2.010500.tar.gz)
    unpack
    edit ./Math-Pari-2.010500/utils/Math/PariBuild.pm
    and modify: $ftp = Net::FTP->new($host) or die "Cannot create FTP object:
    $!";
    to: $ftp = Net::FTP->new($host, Passive => 1) or die "Cannot create FTP
    object: $!";

    Save file, run ./Math-Pari-2.010500/Makefile.pl prefix=/usr/local/lib/perl5
    or wherever your perl directory is
    the Makefile will download another gzip file and compile the C code (some of
    it is in C), and install to your perl directory.

    Thanks again Jim
    --
    lucas
    -------------------------

    lucas, Dec 24, 2003
  4. On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 11:26:47 -0500
    lucas <> wrote:

    > Thanks ;)
    > I thought about using the 'prefix' paramater, but didn't turns out
    > it worked fine. I didn't find anything in the readme or install
    > files about problems with ftp. So, if anybody wants to know what I
    > did to get around the ftp requiring PASV to work properly, here you
    > go: Download the package (Math-Pari-2.010500.tar.gz)
    > unpack
    > edit ./Math-Pari-2.010500/utils/Math/PariBuild.pm
    > and modify: $ftp = Net::FTP->new($host) or die "Cannot create FTP
    > object: $!";
    > to: $ftp = Net::FTP->new($host, Passive => 1) or die "Cannot create
    > FTP object: $!";
    >
    > Save file, run ./Math-Pari-2.010500/Makefile.pl
    > prefix=/usr/local/lib/perl5 or wherever your perl directory is
    > the Makefile will download another gzip file and compile the C code
    > (some of it is in C), and install to your perl directory.
    >
    > Thanks again Jim

    You're welcome. And, have you emailed the author so this modification
    is available to all?

    --
    Jim

    for more information.

    a fortune quote ...
    "Pascal is Pascal is Pascal is dog meat." -- M. Devine and P.
    Larson, Computer Science 340

    James Willmore, Dec 25, 2003
  5. lucas

    lucas Guest

    James Willmore wrote:

    > You're welcome. And, have you emailed the author so this modification
    > is available to all?

    Been off on holidays, away from this computer, but that sounds like a plan.
    I'll send one out
    --
    lucas
    -------------------------

    lucas, Dec 28, 2003
  6. On Sun, 28 Dec 2003 04:48:15 -0500
    lucas <> wrote:

    > James Willmore wrote:
    >

    > > You're welcome. And, have you emailed the author so this
    > > modification is available to all?

    > Been off on holidays, away from this computer, but that sounds like
    > a plan. I'll send one out

    As I type, I have been home now a total of 60 minutes. I don't think
    it's critical that it be sent out *right now* :)

    Enjoy!

    --
    Jim

    for more information.

    a fortune quote ...
    Fuch's Warning: If you actually look like your passport photo,
    you aren't well enough to travel.

    James Willmore, Dec 29, 2003
  7. lucas

    lucas Guest

    I've emailed the author, and here's what he wrote:

    ---
    As documented, auto-install requires working Net::*. Yours is not
    working. You need PASSIVE_FTP (sp?) to be set.

    Thanks for the way to turn passive FTP on programmatically. I have it
    in my TODO list to retry with PASSIVe on if the default connect fails.
    No ETA, though.
    ---

    --
    lucas