Mod Perl Problem PLEASE HELP

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by wizard, Oct 11, 2005.

  1. wizard

    wizard Guest

    PLEASE HELP.

    Hello, Please help me.
    I am installing mod perl on an dual AMD 64-Bit processor machine. I am
    using 64 bit gcc for compilation ( The same I have been using for
    Apache 2 and Perl 5.8.3). When I compile mod perl , I get the
    following error which says:-
    relocation of R_X86_64_32 can not be used when making a shared object;
    recompile with -fPIC.

    Kindly tell me what it means and what can I do with the error. I am
    posting below the compilation line with the error.

    PLEASE HELP.

    x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu-gcc -shared -L/usr/local/lib \
    \
    mod_perl.lo modperl_interp.lo modperl_tipool.lo modperl_log.lo
    modperl_config.lo modperl_cmd.lo modperl_options.lo modperl_callback.lo
    modperl_handler.lo modperl_gtop.lo modperl_util.lo modperl_io.lo
    modperl_io_apache.lo modperl_filter.lo modperl_bucket.lo modperl_mgv.lo
    modperl_pcw.lo modperl_global.lo modperl_env.lo modperl_cgi.lo
    modperl_perl.lo modperl_perl_global.lo modperl_perl_pp.lo
    modperl_sys.lo modperl_module.lo modperl_svptr_table.lo
    modperl_const.lo modperl_constants.lo modperl_apache_compat.lo
    modperl_error.lo modperl_debug.lo modperl_common_util.lo
    modperl_common_log.lo modperl_hooks.lo modperl_directives.lo
    modperl_flags.lo modperl_xsinit.lo modperl_exports.lo -Wl,-E
    -L/usr/local/lib
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.6/x86_64-linux/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a
    -L/usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.6/x86_64-linux/CORE -lperl -lnsl -ldl -lm
    -lcrypt -lutil -lc \
    -o mod_perl.so
    /opt/crosstool/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/gcc-3.4.1-glibc-2.3.3/lib/gcc/x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/3.4.1/../../../../x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu/bin/ld:
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.6/x86_64-linux/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a(DynaLoader.o):
    relocation R_X86_64_32 can not be used when making a shared object;
    recompile with -fPIC
    /usr/local/lib/perl5/5.8.6/x86_64-linux/auto/DynaLoader/DynaLoader.a:
    could not read symbols: Bad value
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
    make[1]: *** [mod_perl.so] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory
    `/home/staff/install/mod_perl-2.0.1/src/modules/perl'
    make: *** [modperl_lib] Error 2

    wizard, Oct 11, 2005

  2. wizard

    Brian Wakem Guest

    wizard wrote:

    > PLEASE HELP.
    >
    > Hello, Please help me.
    > I am installing mod perl on an dual AMD 64-Bit processor machine. I am
    > using 64 bit gcc for compilation ( The same I have been using for
    > Apache 2 and Perl 5.8.3). When I compile mod perl , I get the
    > following error which says:-
    > relocation of R_X86_64_32 can not be used when making a shared object;
    > recompile with -fPIC.

    "recompile with -fPIC" is self explanatory, is it not?

    --
    Brian Wakem

    Brian Wakem, Oct 11, 2005

  3. wizard

    wizard Guest

    Dear Brian Wakem,
    Thank you very much for your suggestion. But there is one problem.
    I am currently working on a mail server and any change in the existing
    perl configuration may change the working of many many binaries that
    are using Dynaloader. Any of the binaries can stop working and it will
    create a big problem. Is there any way that I can get a workaround of
    this problem. I am in a dicy situation whereby I cannot change any
    existing configuration with the current Perl.
    Please help me bug this problem out. I will be much grateful.
    Regards,
    Vivek J. Joshi

    wizard, Oct 11, 2005
  4. wizard

    Guest

    wizard wrote:
    > I am in a dicy situation whereby I cannot change any
    > existing configuration with the current Perl.

    I believe you will need to schedule a server maintenance window, my
    friend. And you want to do this anyway (especially when using the
    dynamic loader - without -fpic, the loader must create a private copy
    of the library at runtime for each process - you pretty much kill any
    efficiency you get from shared libraries).

    , Oct 11, 2005
  5. wizard

    Keith Keller Guest

    On 2005-10-11, wizard <> wrote:
    > Thank you very much for your suggestion. But there is one problem.
    > I am currently working on a mail server and any change in the existing
    > perl configuration may change the working of many many binaries that
    > are using Dynaloader. Any of the binaries can stop working and it will
    > create a big problem. Is there any way that I can get a workaround of
    > this problem. I am in a dicy situation whereby I cannot change any
    > existing configuration with the current Perl.

    Build and use your own copy of any libraries you need. Check out
    perldoc -q lib for help.

    --keith

    --
    -francisco.ca.us
    (try just my userid to email me)

    Keith Keller, Oct 11, 2005
  6. wizard

    wizard Guest

    Hello Keith Keller, David, and Brian Wakem,
    Thanks a lot people. Your suggestions have pumped a lot of confidence
    in me. I have a few options in mind:-
    1) The server maintainence window as suggested by Mr. David.
    2) Build a new copy of libraries as suggested by Mr Keller.
    3) Also, I am thinking of installing a new Perl in /opt/perl4modperl
    and while installing the new modperl, link the libraries in this
    directory.

    I am going to try them out all if possible. Kindly suggest me if I am
    on the wrong track.
    Again, I thank you all very much for your help.
    With warm regards,
    Vivek J. Joshi

    wizard, Oct 13, 2005