installing virtual dir in IIS problem

Drew Berkemeyer

Hello,

I've been trying all day to create an installer for an ASP.NET application
that has a sub-app running in a virtual directory under the primary app.

Specifically, I have an ASP.NET application that needs to be installed on a
server. Then I also have an other ASP.NET application that needs to be setup
as a virtual directory, regisered as an iis application, under the primary
application complete with it's own bin folder.

The issue is this. If I just create a new web folder under the primary Web
Application folder, then all of the DLLs that need to go into the virtual
Dir's bin folder go into the primary app's bin dir. In addition to this, the
web folder is not setup as an application and therefore will not run the
ASPX files. So, I added a "Web Custom Folder" for the virtual dir and set
the Virtual Directory Property to be under the primary app. However, this
didn't work either as all of the "Detected Dependencies" still go under the
primary app's bin folder.

I tried one more thing that appeared to work, but didn't in the long run.
That is, instead of using the "Project Output" from each of the two
applications, I simply put a file reference for each application DLL in the
appropriate bin folder. As I said, this *appeared* to work as all of the
dependencies for each app were automatically included in each folder also.
However, when the setup is built or after it is closed and re-opened all of
the dependent files have been moved under one bin dir or the other.

I have even tried creating a Merge Module of the application that is
supposed to go in the virtual directory, but that doesn't work either. At
this point I have run out of ideas.

Can someone please tell me the appropriate way to do this?

--

Sincerely,
Drew Berkemeyer