[Instiki] Call for contributors

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Alexey Verkhovsky, Jan 12, 2005.

  1. Dear all,

    Instiki is by far the most popular Ruby application that is not a Ruby
    development tool. Arguably, it is the _only_ popular Ruby application
    for the masses today :) RubyForge download statistics say so. In the
    last few days it is shaping up (look at CVS HEAD) as a Rails
    application. This change deals with many problems in the original
    Instiki, and opens up some new opportunities (undoubtedly, creating some
    new problems, too :)

    If you want to contribute to this Ruby flagman, here is what you can do:

    1. Checkout the current CVS HEAD, look at CONTROLLER_TESTS file and
    write tests for the actions marked as not covered.
    2. If you have submitted a patch earlier, please consider resubmitting
    it against the current CVS. No major new features will be accepted (this
    would be for Instiki 2), but bug fixes and other small enhancements are
    most welcome.
    3. I am particularly interested in changes that make Instiki an
    idiomatic ActionPack app (layouts, .rxml templates, extracting other
    controllers from WikiController, security and other aspects to filters,
    etc).
    4. If you happen to be an Apple man, volunteer to build native Instiki
    Mac releases (myself, the last time I've laid my hands on a Mac was 1986).
    5. Finally, if you happen to be Why the Lucky Stiff, please release
    RedCloth 3.0.1 :)

    Any other form of testing / fixing / constructive feedback about current
    CVS version is highly appreciated. To set expectations right, at the
    time of this writing CVS HEAD "works to some extent" - some features are
    broken (by ongoing porting, and the lack of automated tests at the
    controller level).

    Bottom line: Instiki is an active project again. Pitch in.

    Best regards,
    Alexey Verkhovsky

    P.S. By the way, if anyone is wondering what is going on with RForum.
    It's more or less feature-complete. We are getting ready to migrate
    ruby-forum.org from phpBB to RForum in the next few weeks - to see how
    shall it cope with RealLife(TM).
     
    Alexey Verkhovsky, Jan 12, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. On Wednesday 12 January 2005 05:53 pm, Alexey Verkhovsky wrote:
    | 3. I am particularly interested in changes that make Instiki an
    | idiomatic ActionPack app (layouts, .rxml templates, extracting other
    | controllers from WikiController, security and other aspects to filters,
    | etc).

    What is .rxml?

    Thanks,
    T.
     
    trans. (T. Onoma), Jan 13, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. trans. (T. Onoma) wrote:

    >On Wednesday 12 January 2005 05:53 pm, Alexey Verkhovsky wrote:
    >| 3. I am particularly interested in changes that make Instiki an
    >| idiomatic ActionPack app (layouts, .rxml templates, extracting other
    >| controllers from WikiController, security and other aspects to filters,
    >| etc).
    >
    >What is .rxml?
    >
    >Thanks,
    >T.
    >


    Templating engine by Jim Weirich. Generates XML documents from a lot of
    nested Ruby blocks :)

    See http://rubyforge.org/projects/builder/

    Alex
     
    Alexey Verkhovsky, Jan 13, 2005
    #3
  4. Alexey Verkhovsky

    Ryan Davis Guest

    On Jan 12, 2005, at 2:53 PM, Alexey Verkhovsky wrote:

    > 1. Checkout the current CVS HEAD, look at CONTROLLER_TESTS file and
    > write tests for the actions marked as not covered.
    > 2. If you have submitted a patch earlier, please consider resubmitting
    > it against the current CVS. No major new features will be accepted
    > (this would be for Instiki 2), but bug fixes and other small
    > enhancements are most welcome.


    I have a patch that I can send you directly that (ironically) I could
    not post to the instiki.

    > 4. If you happen to be an Apple man, volunteer to build native Instiki
    > Mac releases (myself, the last time I've laid my hands on a Mac was
    > 1986).


    I can do this too.
     
    Ryan Davis, Jan 13, 2005
    #4
  5. Alexey Verkhovsky

    Sam Roberts Guest

    Quoteing , on Thu, Jan 13, 2005 at 11:16:42AM +0900:
    >
    > On Jan 12, 2005, at 2:53 PM, Alexey Verkhovsky wrote:
    >
    > >1. Checkout the current CVS HEAD, look at CONTROLLER_TESTS file and
    > >write tests for the actions marked as not covered.
    > >2. If you have submitted a patch earlier, please consider resubmitting
    > >it against the current CVS. No major new features will be accepted
    > >(this would be for Instiki 2), but bug fixes and other small
    > >enhancements are most welcome.

    >
    > I have a patch that I can send you directly that (ironically) I could
    > not post to the instiki.
    >
    > >4. If you happen to be an Apple man, volunteer to build native Instiki
    > >Mac releases (myself, the last time I've laid my hands on a Mac was
    > >1986).

    >
    > I can do this too.


    I can test it. Last time I downloaded an OS X instiki pkg was before
    christmas, and it didn't run.

    Sam
     
    Sam Roberts, Jan 13, 2005
    #5
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Alexander DEJANOVSKI

    Retic EAI server : looking for contributors

    Alexander DEJANOVSKI, Mar 5, 2004, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    323
    Alexander DEJANOVSKI
    Mar 5, 2004
  2. Jonathan Gennick
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    332
    Jonathan Gennick
    Oct 22, 2004
  3. Jonathan Gennick

    Looking for more Cookbook contributors

    Jonathan Gennick, Oct 27, 2004, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    8
    Views:
    343
    Terry Reedy
    Oct 29, 2004
  4. Peña, Botp
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    170
    David Heinemeier Hansson
    Sep 19, 2004
  5. Alex Dunae
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    87
    Alex Dunae
    Jan 15, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page