intel compiler

merlevo

I am trying to set up the intel compiler. I have no trouble when I
#include <stdio.h>
but if I
#include (iostream>
using namespace std;
I get an error "could not open source file "iostream"

When I use gcc I don't get this error.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. Any help?

JKop

(e-mail address removed) posted:
I am trying to set up the intel compiler. I have no trouble when I
#include <stdio.h>
but if I
#include (iostream>
using namespace std;
I get an error "could not open source file "iostream"

When I use gcc I don't get this error.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. Any help?

You wrote

#include (iostream>

in the above.

if you write:

#include <iostream>

and get an error... well... that's an issue with your compiler.

-JKop

Victor Bazarov

I am trying to set up the intel compiler. I have no trouble when I
#include <stdio.h>
but if I
#include (iostream>

I sincerely hope you do have the opening angle bracket instead of the
left parenthesis in your real code...
using namespace std;
I get an error "could not open source file "iostream"

When I use gcc I don't get this error.

Sorry if this is a stupid question. Any help?

This question is not stupid, but it is rather misplaced. You probably
have not completed the installation (or have made a mistake while doing
the setup), and that's why the compiler can't find its own headers.
However, this newsgroup does not deal with _products_ and especially
the installation problems. Contact Intel's technical support. Or, if
you have trouble contacting them, asking in a newsgroup dedicated to
programming your OS might actually help, folks there know how products
install and where and how to make compilers find their own headers. It
is all OS- and product-specific.

<offtopic> Not to let you down completely, I can only suggest one thing
that might help you: add the directory where Intel's headers are located
to the 'INCLUDE' environment variable. But please don't ask how to do
that, I simply don't know because it's different from OS to OS.
</offtopic>

oLE

Victor said:
[...]

maybe intel compiler wants:
#include <iostream.h>

i use a dos compiler that insists on the file extension.

Gregg

oLE said:
maybe intel compiler wants:
#include <iostream.h>

i use a dos compiler that insists on the file extension.

iostream.h and iostream are two different headers. Your DOS compiler
does not insist on the .h; it simply does not have the iostream header.

The one with the ".h" was part of pre-standard C++ and should not be
used for new code. The declarations it provides are different from what
iostream provides. The DOS compiler you use is probably very old and
does not have the newer libraries with the non-extension headers.

Anything after about 1998 should have the newer headers.

Gregg