    When I use gcc I don't get this error.

    Sorry if this is a stupid question. Any help?

    , Oct 2, 2004

  2. JKop Guest

    posted:

    > I am trying to set up the intel compiler. I have no trouble when I
    > #include <stdio.h>
    > but if I
    > #include (iostream>
    > using namespace std;
    > I get an error "could not open source file "iostream"
    >
    > When I use gcc I don't get this error.
    >

    > Sorry if this is a stupid question. Any help?

    You wrote

    #include (iostream>

    in the above.

    if you write:

    #include <iostream>

    and get an error... well... that's an issue with your compiler.

    -JKop

    JKop, Oct 2, 2004

  3. <> wrote...
    >I am trying to set up the intel compiler. I have no trouble when I
    > #include <stdio.h>
    > but if I
    > #include (iostream>

    I sincerely hope you do have the opening angle bracket instead of the
    left parenthesis in your real code...

    > using namespace std;
    > I get an error "could not open source file "iostream"
    >
    > When I use gcc I don't get this error.
    >

    > Sorry if this is a stupid question. Any help?

    This question is not stupid, but it is rather misplaced. You probably
    have not completed the installation (or have made a mistake while doing
    the setup), and that's why the compiler can't find its own headers.
    However, this newsgroup does not deal with _products_ and especially
    the installation problems. Contact Intel's technical support. Or, if
    you have trouble contacting them, asking in a newsgroup dedicated to
    programming your OS might actually help, folks there know how products
    install and where and how to make compilers find their own headers. It
    is all OS- and product-specific.

    <offtopic> Not to let you down completely, I can only suggest one thing
    that might help you: add the directory where Intel's headers are located
    to the 'INCLUDE' environment variable. But please don't ask how to do
    that, I simply don't know because it's different from OS to OS.
    </offtopic>

    Victor Bazarov, Oct 2, 2004
  4. oLE Guest

    Victor Bazarov wrote:
    > <> wrote...
    >
    >>I am trying to set up the intel compiler. I have no trouble when I
    >>#include <stdio.h>
    >>but if I
    >>#include (iostream>

    > I sincerely hope you do have the opening angle bracket instead of the
    > left parenthesis in your real code...
    >

    >>using namespace std;
    >>I get an error "could not open source file "iostream"
    >>
    >>When I use gcc I don't get this error.
    >>

    >>Sorry if this is a stupid question. Any help?

    > This question is not stupid, but it is rather misplaced. You probably
    > have not completed the installation (or have made a mistake while doing
    > the setup), and that's why the compiler can't find its own headers.
    > However, this newsgroup does not deal with _products_ and especially
    > the installation problems. Contact Intel's technical support. Or, if
    > you have trouble contacting them, asking in a newsgroup dedicated to
    > programming your OS might actually help, folks there know how products
    > install and where and how to make compilers find their own headers. It
    > is all OS- and product-specific.
    >
    > <offtopic> Not to let you down completely, I can only suggest one thing
    > that might help you: add the directory where Intel's headers are located
    > to the 'INCLUDE' environment variable. But please don't ask how to do
    > that, I simply don't know because it's different from OS to OS.
    > </offtopic>

    maybe intel compiler wants:
    #include <iostream.h>

    i use a dos compiler that insists on the file extension.

    oLE, Oct 3, 2004
  5. Gregg Guest

    oLE wrote:

    > maybe intel compiler wants:
    > #include <iostream.h>
    >
    > i use a dos compiler that insists on the file extension.

    iostream.h and iostream are two different headers. Your DOS compiler
    does not insist on the .h; it simply does not have the iostream header.

    The one with the ".h" was part of pre-standard C++ and should not be
    used for new code. The declarations it provides are different from what
    iostream provides. The DOS compiler you use is probably very old and
    does not have the newer libraries with the non-extension headers.

    Anything after about 1998 should have the newer headers.

    Gregg

    Gregg, Oct 3, 2004