IntelliJ IDEA and Tomcat

Jerry

I am building web applications (JSP and Java in a war file) using
IntelliJ IDEA (Web Module). I have configured IDEA to run Tomcat
directly form IDEA. It seems very slow to run Tomcat from IDEA.
Expecially, after I see the following line and it takes several minutes
to process Root.xml.

INFO: Processing Context configuration file URL file:C:\Documents and
Settings\hzhou\.IntelliJIdea\system\tomcat_local
tomcat_4585a577\conf\Catalina\localhost\ROOT.xml

Anyone knows how to configure IDEA or Tomcat so that it will be a
little faster to run Tomcat from IDEA?

Thanks a lot!

Mike Schilling

Jerry said:
I am building web applications (JSP and Java in a war file) using
IntelliJ IDEA (Web Module). I have configured IDEA to run Tomcat
directly form IDEA. It seems very slow to run Tomcat from IDEA.
Expecially, after I see the following line and it takes several minutes
to process Root.xml.

INFO: Processing Context configuration file URL file:C:\Documents and
Settings\hzhou\.IntelliJIdea\system\tomcat_local
tomcat_4585a577\conf\Catalina\localhost\ROOT.xml

Anyone knows how to configure IDEA or Tomcat so that it will be a
little faster to run Tomcat from IDEA?

I run Tomcat from a shell window and, when necessary, attach to it from
IDEA. The attach is almost instantaneous. If you don't get any
configuration help, you might try that.

Jerry

Mike,

Thanks for your reply. How to attach to Tomcat shell window from IDEA?
Can you please list the steps of how to do this? Thanks!

Raymond DeCampo

Jerry said:
Mike,

Thanks for your reply. How to attach to Tomcat shell window from IDEA?
Can you please list the steps of how to do this? Thanks!

I assume that Mike is referring to remote debugging. Start a debug
session within IDEA. On the configuration screen, click the Remote tab.
On this tab are the exact parameters you must pass to the JVM to be
able to remotely debug. Start tomcat using these parameters. Then
start the debug session from IDEA.

HTH,
Ray

Mike Schilling

Raymond DeCampo said:
I assume that Mike is referring to remote debugging. Start a debug
session within IDEA. On the configuration screen, click the Remote tab.
On this tab are the exact parameters you must pass to the JVM to be able
to remotely debug. Start tomcat using these parameters. Then start the
debug session from IDEA.

Ray's exactly correct. I set transport to "shared memory" and debugger mode
to "attach", and add the suggested
JVM flags to CATALINA_OPTS in Tomcat's startup.bat.