Intellij IDEA vs Eclipse/MyEclipse

JavaCoder

I recently took on a consulting assignment with a number of front-end
technologies like struts, html/css, jsp and some other backend
technologies like hibernate. I want to settle on a single IDE and am
trying to decide between the latest Intellij IDEA or Eclipse enhanced
with MyEclipse. I'm been mainly a serverside guy and need to get up
to speed quickly with the front-end stuff.

One thing I keep hearing of is how intuitive IDEA is, but whenever I
got stuck, the manuals seem woefully lacking. For instance, I
couldn't figure out how to create a deployment war with a custom
directory structure. In MyEclipse, it was basically how you
structured your folders under the web context root.

I don't mind some learning curve just want to know whether one has
clear advantages over the other.

Lew

JavaCoder said:
I recently took on a consulting assignment with a number of front-end
technologies like struts, html/css, jsp and some other backend
technologies like hibernate. I want to settle on a single IDE and am
trying to decide between the latest Intellij IDEA or Eclipse enhanced
with MyEclipse. I'm been mainly a serverside guy and need to get up
to speed quickly with the front-end stuff.

One thing I keep hearing of is how intuitive IDEA is, but whenever I
got stuck, the manuals seem woefully lacking. For instance, I
couldn't figure out how to create a deployment war with a custom
directory structure. In MyEclipse, it was basically how you
structured your folders under the web context root.

I don't mind some learning curve just want to know whether one has
clear advantages over the other.

Personally I use NetBeans for Java development, given the opportunity to choose.

David Segall

JavaCoder said:
I recently took on a consulting assignment with a number of front-end
technologies like struts, html/css, jsp and some other backend
technologies like hibernate. I want to settle on a single IDE and am
trying to decide between the latest Intellij IDEA or Eclipse enhanced
with MyEclipse. I'm been mainly a serverside guy and need to get up
to speed quickly with the front-end stuff.

One thing I keep hearing of is how intuitive IDEA is, but whenever I
got stuck, the manuals seem woefully lacking. For instance, I
couldn't figure out how to create a deployment war with a custom
directory structure. In MyEclipse, it was basically how you
structured your folders under the web context root.

I don't mind some learning curve just want to know whether one has
clear advantages over the other.
How did you decide to limit the choice to those two? If you are still
looking then have a look at my list of IDEs at
<http://ide.profectus.com.au>. I believe that NetBeans and JDeveloper
are ahead of both IDEA and Eclipse for JSP developers.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

JavaCoder said:
I recently took on a consulting assignment with a number of front-end
technologies like struts, html/css, jsp and some other backend
technologies like hibernate. I want to settle on a single IDE and am
trying to decide between the latest Intellij IDEA or Eclipse enhanced
with MyEclipse. I'm been mainly a serverside guy and need to get up
to speed quickly with the front-end stuff.

One thing I keep hearing of is how intuitive IDEA is, but whenever I
got stuck, the manuals seem woefully lacking. For instance, I
couldn't figure out how to create a deployment war with a custom
directory structure. In MyEclipse, it was basically how you
structured your folders under the web context root.

I don't mind some learning curve just want to know whether one has
clear advantages over the other.

I would say go with what you like. You are very likely most
productive using that.

And I would suggest using the IDE for writing code and
ant for building.

Arne