interfacing WS with EDI

GaryDean

I have a client that needs to interface with a vendor that uses EDI
documents. for instance they use the EDI 850 purchase order document. Is
there a good way to interface Web Services with EDI documents?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Gary,

Based on my understanding, XML webservice standard hasn't definite design
on EDI document, and for Microsoft products, the BizTalk server is designed
to handle EDI, EAI scenarios.

If you want to try it through webservice, you can first check the EDI
document's format and how will you need to communicate with the vendor
through such EDI document. Basically, webservice only send out or recieve
in XML based SOAP messages and map them to the .net runtime object methods
to execute some code logic. Do you think this will help for your case?

Please feel free to let me know if you have any more specific questions or
concerns here.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

John Saunders [MVP]

GaryDean said:
I have a client that needs to interface with a vendor that uses EDI
documents. for instance they use the EDI 850 purchase order document. Is
there a good way to interface Web Services with EDI documents?

In general, the issues with web services and EDI are the same as any other
kind of application and EDI. The real question is how to handle EDI from a
..NET Application.

In a previous job, I used the Symphonia product from Orion Health
(http://support.symphonia3.com/EDI.aspx). We used their interactive tools to
create the files describing the format of the documents we needed to
exchange, then used their API to format the data.