Intermittent Web Service Response Failures

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Shinz62, Jan 13, 2005.

  1. Shinz62

    Shinz62 Guest

    I have a dot net windows (winforms) client, calling a dot net web service on
    a timer.
    Every once in a while the web service fails to respond causing my client to
    get a timeout. This is especially painful on the client side because when the
    failure occurs it causes the client to hang, waiting for the reply that never
    comes, until the timeout is triggered.
    I did some monitoring with a sniffer and found out that actually the web
    service does respond but it responds differently on occasion. The difference
    seems to be that sometimes the client was in the middle of doing a keep alive
    exchange with the server when the application call is made. The result is
    that the server responds with an ACK rather than an OK at the end of the
    application call and this causes the client to not understand the reply.
    I don't have any easy way to reproduce this problem, it usually occures only
    after the app has been running for 20-30 minutes and this makes it especially
    difficult to track.
    I have tried diabling keep alives from the server, or from the client.

    Any suggestions

    ?

    Shinz62, Jan 13, 2005