Internet Explorer and Kernel mode authentication on IIS7

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Peter Larsen [CPH], Jul 30, 2010.

  1. Hi,

    I have some websites on a test web server running IIS7.
    The sites use Windows Authentication with Kernel mode authentication - no
    asp.net impersonation or other authentication types.

    For some reasons, 2 sites is no longer accessible from Internet Explorer
    (IE8) - except if i disable Kernel-Mode authentication for the sites on the
    IIS OR disable Integrated Windows Authentication on internet explorer.

    I have tried to add one of the sites to another sites Application Pool (a
    site that still works with kernel-mode auth.), but with no luck. So it is
    not a Application Pool setting (that must be changed).

    I don't understand why some sites works with kernel-mode and other sites
    don't.
    There where no problems yesterday.

    The problem exists for all computers on the intranet.

    What could it be ??

    BR
    Peter
    Peter Larsen [CPH], Jul 30, 2010

  2. Hi Peter,

    >I don't understand why some sites works with kernel-mode and other sites
    >don't.
    >There where no problems yesterday.

    Let's simplify and narrow down the issue first. Is the symptom like below?

    Tested two sites (hosted on the same IIS 7) on one client machine with IE
    8. One works and another doesn't work. These two sites all use kernel mode
    authentication and looks has no difference. Kernel mode authentication
    seems to be the cause because it works if it's disabled.

    If so could you create a new simple site with kernel mode authentication to
    see whether this site works? BTW what response is returned when you access
    that non-working web site?

    Regards,
    Allen Chen
    Microsoft Online Support

    .

    Allen Chen [MSFT], Aug 2, 2010

  3. Hi Allen,

    Thank you for your reply.
    The problem went away - i don't know why it appear and why it disappear
    again :-(

    BR
    Peter

    Peter Larsen [CPH], Aug 11, 2010